Using Intel onboard graphics!

Go to solution Solved by Philcat101,

Most of you are going to tell me that ideally I want to always have a discrete gpu but just hear me out.

I have an i5-4690k and plan to get a gtx 970 gigabyte g1 gaming but because of the current hole the canadian dollar is in, the prices are higher than I want to pay.

My plan is to just build my rig and run it on the onboard graphics to install drivers and download programs I use and maybe just surfing the web (no games whatsoever). Then switch to a discrete card when I can.

My concern is if this will lower the life of my cpu.

What are your thoughts on what I should do?

It won't.

The lifespan be just fine as long as your temps don't go too high (which is not going to be affected by onboard graphics so...)

Most of you are going to tell me that ideally I want to always have a discrete gpu but just hear me out.

I have an i5-4690k and plan to get a gtx 970 gigabyte g1 gaming but because of the current hole the canadian dollar is in, the prices are higher than I want to pay.

My plan is to just build my rig and run it on the onboard graphics to install drivers and download programs I use and maybe just surfing the web (no games whatsoever). Then switch to a discrete card when I can.

As long as the cpu is adequately cooled I can't see an issue with it.

CPU  Intel i7 5820k Motherboard Asus X99-S  RAM  32GB (8x4) Kingston Hyper X Fury GPU EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 iCX Case Fractal Design R4 Windowed Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 120GB Crucial M500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda + 1TB Western Digital Blue PSU Corsair RM1000 Display 2x Asus VS239HV Cooling  Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard  Corsair K70 RGB Mouse Logitech G502 Gaming Surface Razer Golitahus Extended Speed

It won't lower the CPU life.

Also, try to go for a R9-390 if you can.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

It won't.

The lifespan be just fine as long as your temps don't go too high (which is not going to be affected by onboard graphics so...)

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

No its not going to lower the life time of your CPU, even less so if you were just going to use it for a short time.

It will not decrease the life of the CPU.

However, for gaming, the i yegrated graphics is AIDS. Trust me, I used it for 7 months straight before switching to my 390x.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

I'm using mine right now as I'm between graphics cards. If you have the right motherboard you can even overclock the iGPU.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I'm using mine right now as I'm between graphics cards. If you have the right motherboard you can even overclock the iGPU.

What's your best overclock on yours?

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

I have the h100i cpu cooler by corsair in a 750d case so I assume cooling should be fine.

Thanks for the help everyone!!

I have the h100i cpu cooler by corsair in a 750d case so I assume cooling should be fine.

Thanks for the help everyone!!

Cooling will be perfectly fine.

Spoiler

It won't lower the CPU life.

Also, try to go for a R9-390 if you can.

I will have a look at it but I'm like 80% looks and 20% practicality and I love the way the g1 gaming looks

Go for it, man. It won't affect the longevity at all. I'd try gaming too. Take a few steps down in the settings if need be. Also, not all games are hardcore FPS. Most all map-strategy games and RPGs runs just fine on iGPU. 

What's your best overclock on yours?

I forget. Just about double though :lol: . With the iGPUs like the HD4600 I just kept ramping up the voltage and multiplier until the drivers crashed :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT, that's with a liquid cooler though.

I will have a look at it but I'm like 80% looks and 20% practicality and I love the way the g1 gaming looks

Take a look at the R9 390 nitro as it looks really good.

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

I forget. Just about double though :lol: . With the iGPUs like the HD4600 I just kept ramping up the voltage and multiplier until the drivers crashed :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT, that's with a liquid cooler though.

If I was still running integrated then I'd see how high I can go, but I'm not, so I won't.

Spoiler

As others said, no problem with the lifespan.

If you do plan on gaming, that's no problem either actually! The 4600 is rather capable if you overclock it. Get the RAM speed up and  igpu clock up (either through desktop software XTU or bios) and you're good to go. Both of which are rather easy. From what I can tell, they are great overclockers. Or should I say they come with very preservative stock clocks. I got an entire thread about it here.

With overclocks I can comfortably play games such as GTA V (40-60 fps), Project Cars, and probably most triple A titles. Of course with lowest settings but still.

No, using onboard graphics won't affect your cpu's lifespan. 

Intel CPUs typically last 10 years unless overclocked.

Integrated gpus won't get you much performance anyways so not like you can push it till it pops :)

Integrated gpus won't get you much performance anyways so not like you can push it till it pops :)

Bull Shit, you can get some real gains overclocking a iGPU. And you can most definitely push it till it pops. Then back of a bit and run it there.

Bull Shit, you can get some real gains overclocking a iGPU. And you can most definitely push it till it pops. Then back of a bit and run it there.

The benefits of overclocking an iGPU are literally not worth the effort. If you are doing an OC on iGPU then you need a good cooler straight away, which means you're just delaying/underbudgeting your GPU.

Don't forget that OP is in need of a discrete GPU

The benefits of overclocking an iGPU are literally not worth the effort. If you are doing an OC on iGPU then you need a good cooler straight away, which means you're just delaying/underbudgeting your GPU.

Bullshit. I've gone to 1.3v on igpu with no change in temps. How about you actually overclock an Intel integrated GPU before trying to look smart?

@OP

You should be able to overclock the integrated graphics pretty damn far, and that will hold you over until you get a GPU.

Spoiler

If you have a Z board it's as easy and adding voltage and upping the multiplier. Not a lot of added heat, nothing like overclocking the cpu anyways. If you wanted to use a iGPU to game and you have a Z board you're crazy not to overclock as the iGPU will overclock better than just about anything else overclockable.