Can I mix ram sticks?

Go to solution Solved by TheKDub,

I have a single stick of ddr3 1600 MHz RAM in my system and I was wondering if I could add more ram whether that be another 8gb stick or a set of two 4gb sticks. The ram I have now I pulled out of a prebuilt system so I don't think I will be able to find another stick of the same kind. My mobo does have two different lanes for RAM (four slots total) is this helps. Thanks in advance for the help!

Yes, you can mix RAM sticks, though you should aim for the latency and speed to be the same. (so if one is 1600Mhz CL9, you'd want the others to be 1600Mhz CL9, if you were to have 1866Mhz CL9 and 1600Mhz CL9 dimms, the 1866Mhz dimm(s) would downclock themselves to be running at 1600Mhz.)

It should work, though it's not 100% guaranteed.

I have a single stick of ddr3 1600 MHz RAM in my system and I was wondering if I could add more ram whether that be another 8gb stick or a set of two 4gb sticks. The ram I have now I pulled out of a prebuilt system so I don't think I will be able to find another stick of the same kind. My mobo does have two different lanes for RAM (four slots total) is this helps. Thanks in advance for the help!

It will probably work but ram used outside of their preconfigured kits aren't guaranteed to.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yes, you can mix RAM sticks, though you should aim for the latency and speed to be the same. (so if one is 1600Mhz CL9, you'd want the others to be 1600Mhz CL9, if you were to have 1866Mhz CL9 and 1600Mhz CL9 dimms, the 1866Mhz dimm(s) would downclock themselves to be running at 1600Mhz.)

It should work, though it's not 100% guaranteed.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

You can...in theory.

My old rig used two Corsair Vengeance 4GB DDR3-1333 modules at first, then I added two Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP 4GB DDR3-1600 modules without realising the...uhh...RAMifications of running two different brands and specifications. The reason I needed very low profile RAM is because the Noctua NH-D14 is a bitch to work with if you have standard profile RAM.

It didn't have a single problem, amazingly. It worked like a dream.

So I did the same with my laptop; it has a generic 8GB DDR3-1600 module, and I added a Kingston HyperX Impact 4GB DDR3-1600 module as well, since this laptop has up to 16GB support across two modules.

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT BLUE SCREENS UP THE WAZOO!! There were times where it worked without issue, but as I kept on using it it got progressively worse. I couldn't work with it for much longer, so I removed the old module since memory diagnostics told me it was bad.

So whilst it can work sometimes, and in some instances you won't have a single issue, it is highly recommended that you buy the same brand and same spec of RAM as the one in your board. It might have a different heat spreader, but better to have inconsistent looking RAM than an inconsistently working computer.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

It does work and I have done it several times, however you should try to get the same stick of the same brand. It is better to get 2 4 GB sticks and run them in Dual channel and let the third stick be in a separate slot.

Hardcore Hardware Whore | Check out my Blog for for Latest Tech News and more | Cricket Fan | Weapons Nut | 

Well mixing should only downgrade to lower Hz ram set up. That is if you even had set up in bios to use more then base. Most of bios will always set up ram to base Hz meaning you would have to mamualy change higher Hz if your ram supports it. So only issue befote mixing is turning back custom clock to base clock and then should be no issue. As for getting mixed ram to work with custom clock that might be hard or imposible.