Lines flashing across screen

Sportsman225
Go to solution Solved by DanishDevil,

So you've tried a different display cable and that didn't seem to work. Do you have a TV or other monitor lying around that you can try? Maybe use an HDMI cable from your cable box that you know works and see if your PC will output to your TV. 

Alternatively, you could also check the GPU itself. Make sure the fan is physically spinning and check temps while in a benchmark or game with GPU-Z (sensors tab).

CPU Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard ECS B85H3-M9 (1.0) Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
RAM Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
GPU MSI AMD Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card
Case Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" SSD
HGST/Hitachi 0F12470 Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB Hard Drive
PSU Sparkle 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
Display Acer K272HULbmiidp 60Hz 27.0" Monitor
Cooling Stock

Operating System Windows 10 N Pro

BIOS Version 4.6.5

I built my computer over the summer and everything has been running great. About a month ago I have started getting lines across my screen after it boots up. My graphics card is not overclocked so that can't be it. I have tried reinstalling graphics drivers and reseating the graphics card. If I disable the graphics drivers and re enable them, it works fine again. Any help would be greatly be appreciated!

Video describing the issue:

My Current PC: PCPartPicker I built this August of 2019. I'm loving AMD's 3rd gen Ryzen.

U

CPU Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard ECS B85H3-M9 (1.0) Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
RAM Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
GPU MSI AMD Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card
Case Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" SSD
HGST/Hitachi 0F12470 Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB Hard Drive
PSU Sparkle 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
Display Acer K272HULbmiidp 60Hz 27.0" Monitor
Cooling Stock

Operating System Windows 10 N Pro

BIOS Version 4.6.5

I built my computer over the summer and everything has been running great. About a month ago I have started getting lines across my screen after it boots up. My graphics card is not overclocked so that can't be it. I have tried reinstalling graphics drivers and reseating the graphics card. If I disable the graphics drivers and re enable them, it works fine again. Any help would be greatly be appreciated!

Video describing the issue:

use a different cable and connector use a monitor or tv to test it 

Your GPU could be artifacting. Do you happen to have a second GPU or a second monitor to try? You could also try another display cable. Which graphics drivers are you using?

Well this is very strange. I use display port for my monitor. I tried using a HDMI cable and the motherboard screen came up then the little windows circle popped up and then it went black and it wouldn't do anything else. Then I put the Display port cable back in and now it works fine. I am so confused.

Edit: I turned it off each time I switched cables.

I misread that and thought it said "Linus flashing across screen".

Sorry I don't know what the problem could be. Have you noticed the lines while in the BIOS?

He He He

My Current PC: PCPartPicker I built this August of 2019. I'm loving AMD's 3rd gen Ryzen.

Well this is very strange. I use display port for my monitor. I tried using a HDMI cable and the motherboard screen came up then the little windows circle popped up and then it went black and it wouldn't do anything else. Then I put the Display port cable back in and now it works fine. I am so confused.

He He He

That is strange. Have you tried praying to Linus and JJ from ASUS and asking them to take mercy on your computer?

Sorry if I'm not taking this as seriously as you'd like. I'm a silly person.

I put my computer to sleep earlier tonight. I woke it back up and this is what happened.

I have since turned off the computer and it is still happening.

So you've tried a different display cable and that didn't seem to work. Do you have a TV or other monitor lying around that you can try? Maybe use an HDMI cable from your cable box that you know works and see if your PC will output to your TV. 

Alternatively, you could also check the GPU itself. Make sure the fan is physically spinning and check temps while in a benchmark or game with GPU-Z (sensors tab).

I have MSI Afterburner and it is showing up.

I booted up my computer again this morning. Everything seems to be fine. It must be something on the software side because it seems to happen after I put my computer to sleep.

It could be a remnant of an old GPU driver. You could uninstall the GPU drivers, use CCleaner, then reinstall the latest driver from chip maker's site (with restarts in between each). Either that or just don't put your PC to sleep as a habit.