Best Custom ROM for Moto G 2014?

CarterDavison

So my Moto has been nothing but trash and constantly hitching, lagging and just outright sucking from 2 months after owning it.

I want a custom ROM that can much help my performance and battery life as those are the two most important things to me.

I am still completely new to custom roms but I intend on installing one this week.

Thanks

Best Bench Runs & 24/7 Rig

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

i5 4670k (XTU) - 4.7GHz Core / 4.5GHz Cache | GTX 980 (FireStrike Extreme) 1620MHz Core / 4000MHz Memory (GPUPI) 1721MHz | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB - 2200MHz CL10-11-11-24 1T

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

i5 4670k 4.5GHz (Swiftech H320) | MSI Z87 MPower Max | ASUS GTX 980 1580MHz 4000MHz (NZXT Kraken X41) | 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | 120GB Kingston SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda

Have you taken a look at Cyanogen? They are awesome.

Also, make sure you backup before installing, just in case something goes wrong. :)

Have you taken a look at Cyanogen? They are awesome.

Also, make sure you backup before installing, just in case something goes wrong. :)

After a solid 20 seconds of reading about Cyanogen, it doesn't seem to target performance / battery saving..

I could be wrong tho..

How do you backup?

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

i5 4670k (XTU) - 4.7GHz Core / 4.5GHz Cache | GTX 980 (FireStrike Extreme) 1620MHz Core / 4000MHz Memory (GPUPI) 1721MHz | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB - 2200MHz CL10-11-11-24 1T

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

i5 4670k 4.5GHz (Swiftech H320) | MSI Z87 MPower Max | ASUS GTX 980 1580MHz 4000MHz (NZXT Kraken X41) | 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | 120GB Kingston SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda

After a solid 20 seconds of reading about Cyanogen, it doesn't seem to target performance / battery saving..

I could be wrong tho..

How do you backup?

Well it does target performance somewhat, it used to be fully unlocked with tons of options, even some for overclocking. But it's been a long time since I've used Cyanogen so it might be better to consult with someone who used it recently. That's why I suggested it, the last time I used it, it was great. No harm in trying it out for a bit. And I'm guessing you could achieve battery saving by underclocking, but I wouldn't do that to a snapdragon 400, it's low clocked as it is and it shouldn't be a power hog.

Read up on Cyanogen specifically for your Moto G, look for any issues related to the ROM, check out what other users report back and so on. :)

Well it does target performance somewhat, it used to be fully unlocked with tons of options, even some for overclocking. But it's been a long time since I've used Cyanogen so it might be better to consult with someone who used it recently. That's why I suggested it, the last time I used it, it was great. No harm in trying it out for a bit. And I'm guessing you could achieve battery saving by underclocking, but I wouldn't do that to a snapdragon 400, it's low clocked as it is and it shouldn't be a power hog.

Read up on Cyanogen specifically for your Moto G, look for any issues related to the ROM, check out what other users report back and so on. :)

It sounds terrible but I don't WANT to put in the effort to research because I have absolutely no clue about anything. I would rather someone tell me what to get then follow a guide.

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

I could be wrong tho..

How do you backup?

When in your recovery ( I prefer TWRP ) Click backup and then select all the partitions then backup, this is a nandroid backup.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g/development/rom-xperience-9-0-0-t2952466

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software/tk-gapps-t3116347

https://twrp.me/devices/motorolamotog2013.html

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

Best to follow along with youtube videos.

Flashing the rom is the ez part ! It's getting it ready up to that point that can be a bit confusing. Once you get the rom flashing part down you can sit there all day and try different roms.

i3-4170, H81 board, 8GB DDR3, Crucial M4, GTX 770, Xigmatek Vangaurd Case, Creative Titanium X-fi, Razer Carcharias, 500w PSU, 24" VA panel and a 42" IPS. Thinking about getting a plant.

I have the same phone, and agree with you that it is a peice of junk when the stock rom is installed. In order to get a custom rom you will have to unlock the bootloader. Motorola doesn't allow you unlock all of their phones so a key is required to do so. If you phone is eligable to be unlocked you will recieve the key and you will be able to flash roms onto it.

I personally use cyanogenmod on my moto G 2014. Last I checked only nightly builds are available but you can update your rom without flashing anything. There aren't any major bugs as far as I can tell (Aside from any EQ only working with the Music app.)

You will need to flash Google Playstore and Google Play Services if you want to use the appstore. You can find the universal flashable zip on the XDA forums.

OP, it is inevitable that some research will need to be done. Even after finding the guide for my phone I spent about three hours doing research trying to figure out how to use ADB minimal/fastboot because mine behaved differently from in the guide.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

I have the same phone, and agree with you that it is a peice of junk when the stock rom is installed. In order to get a custom rom you will have to unlock the bootloader. Motorola doesn't allow you unlock all of their phones so a key is required to do so. If you phone is eligable to be unlocked you will recieve the key and you will be able to flash roms onto it.

I personally use cyanogenmod on my moto G 2014. Last I checked only nightly builds are available but you can update your rom without flashing anything. There aren't any major bugs as far as I can tell (Aside from any EQ only working with the Music app.)

You will need to flash Google Playstore and Google Play Services if you want to use the appstore. You can find the universal flashable zip on the XDA forums.

OP, it is inevitable that some research will need to be done. Even after finding the guide for my phone I spent about three hours doing research trying to figure out how to use ADB minimal/fastboot because mine behaved differently from in the guide.

You just said a bunch of gibberish to me..

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

You just said a bunch of gibberish to me..

Let me try to put it in layman's terms.

Not all Moto G phones can have a custom rom installed, only certan ones allow it. And even if it does you will have to send a code to Motorola so they can send you a key to allow it. If you can unlock your phone then I suggest installing TWRP, downloading Cyanogenmod and then using TWRP to install Cyanogen.

Cyanogen is a custom rom. But it's not at an official release so some expect bugs and glitches. I do not know of any other roms that support the Moto G.

Also you will have to do at least some research, that's how it works when you do these kinds of things. I'm also not saying it will take three hours like it did for me but do keep in mind that some research is required.

Keep in mind that Google Play Store will not be on your phone after you install this rom, you will have to find it and install it seperately.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.