turnning my PC into a NAS

Ali777

Hello,

I have a PC with these specs

Intel i3-4160
GA-h81m-s2h
Kingston 8GBx1
Evga 500 W1

I will be upgrading soon to a new machine and I intend to use this one for a NAS
Now I know that I don't have an ecc ram, so I don't know if running a server in this machine is a good idea ?
My main usage will be for storing movies and TV shows along with some personal photos
I need also to use PLEX server to stream movies

what do you think ? especially running the NAS without ecc ram

I heard that running freenas is not a good idea without ecc ram

What do you recommend ?

ecc is mostly just a thing where theres zero margin for error.

for just a home server with jbod (just a bunch of drives) regular ram is fine.

FreeNAS (well, ZFS to be specific) is recommended to be run with ECC, but there are quite a few decent alternatives which are perfectly happy without ECC memory. The ones which I see usually named at the moment are amahi and openmediavault. And of course, there's always the possibility of just setting up a base Linux install with the necessary software (Samba, Plex etc.).

Either way, ECC is not an inherent requirement for a NAS, just a recommendation for ZFS, hence why you often see it mentioned along with FreeNAS.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic