Windows 7 to 10 upgrade

Chris_linge

Hi guys,

I'm currently running windows 7. But I'm building a new rig and plan to run it on windows 10. I also plan to incorporate my current hdd (with windows 7) into my new rig powered by windows 10.

So would I still be able to open the old apps in the hdd in my new rig?

It depends do you have an OEM version of windows on your Build right now if you do you can only use OEM with the same Motherboard when you first installed Windows. it can not be migrated over to different systems

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

well, besides going off of what the guy before me said which is true. If you do have the retail it should transfer over. The programs may work and may not... some programs settings are set to your old configuration which could break them if you have different hardware, but others wont. its sorta of a crap shoot. Most should work unless things like drive letters change and such though windows wont activate if you have the oem version and not retail 

Edit: Wait are you talking about adding your old hdd to the new system as a second hdd or as the primary hdd? if its gonna be a secondary hdd then no the programs wont work

Edited by That_Random_Guy

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

When I updated to Win10 i had some issues with some programs and other things. I ended up updating or reinstalling almost everything.

I wants ta build da PC's brah.

More information please... What and how are you planning to use the new and old hard drives? Are you planning to upgrade to Win10 or fresh install Win10? If you are doing a fresh install of Win10, the with the latest build of Win10, all Win7 and 8 serial keys WILL work to activate Win10 (1511), just download the bootable onto a USB and install via the bootable USB (download it from Microsoft). If are saying if your programs are compatible with Win10, then I'm not sure... you have check each program because some will support Win10 and some won't, but for the most part, things usually work, just make sure to get the latest version of the program. If you mean will the program work after you install Win10 and NOT reinstalling the programs, then chances are it will not work.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

Most third-party apps should work fine with Windows 10 if you're migrating from Windows 7. However, drivers and some OEM utilities probably won't, so watch out for that.

Hi guys sorry for not being clear enough..my current situation is that I have a lot of games installed in this old HDD, and I'm building a new rig which comes with its own SSD and HDD and a fresh installation of Windows 10. So I was thinking in order for me to continue playing these games, I wanna just chuck the old HDD into the new rig as a secondary (or third in line, order being the SSD as main with Windows 10 installed, second being the new HDD with no windows installed obviously, and the third being the old HDD with the currently installed Windows 7).

As long as your games don't rely on registry entries for configuration, you'd probably be able to play them if you install your old HDD into your new PC. Otherwise, re-installing them is a good way to go.