Transfer speed low between NAS and PC

Urri

Short version of my problem is that even though my connection sais im having 1Gbit connection the transfer rate is only 100mbit.

I have been in talks with my "local" computer store *No help*, ive been talking to WD customer support *No help* so im running out of options.

Theoratically everything should work as it is, a friend i know has the same exact NAS and Hdd as me and is getting up to 70 MB per second while mine is stable at 12 MB per second.

I have the shorter cat6a cables plugged into the NAS and the switch and the 1.5m one from switch to PC, and activated gbit connection on the NAS itself.

Still out of luck but below is my systems specs. 

Id much appreciate any help.

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)

NAS: RAID 5

WD My Cloud EX4 0TB 4-Bay (WDBWWD0000NBK-EESN)

WD Red 3 TB NAS Harddrive X 4 (WD30EFRX)

PC:

CPU: Intel Core I7-5930K (BX80648I75930K)

Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i GTX Cpu cooler (CW-9060021-WW)

Motherboard: Asus X99-A (X99-A)

Gfx Card: Asus GeForce STRIC GTX 980 Ti 6GB (STRIX-GTX980TI-DC3OC-6GD5-GAMING)

SSD: HyperX Predator SSD 480GB M.2 PCIe (SHPM2280P2/480G)

RAM: HyperX Predator 2400MHz 32GB (4x8GB) (HX424C12PBK4/32)

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2, 1000W PSU (120-G2-1000-XR)

LAN:

TP-Link 8-port Metal Gigabit Switch. (TL-SG108)

Patch Cable PIMF CAT6a Grey 1.5m LSOH (APC-015MB-GY)

Patch Cable PIMF CAT6a Grey 0.5m LSOH (APC-005MB-GY) x 2

You may want to hold down the clips on the RJ45 connectors, then insert them and remove them 10 or 11 times to remove any corrosion, then blow out the connectors. A faulty connection can cause the slower transfer times. Also, what is the pattern of your transfers. Does it go up, then nosedive or is it steady at 100MBp?

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

You may want to hold down the clips on the RJ45 connectors, then insert them and remove them 10 or 11 times to remove any corrosion, then blow out the connectors. A faulty connection can cause the slower transfer times. Also, what is the pattern of your transfers. Does it go up, then nosedive or is it steady at 100MBp?

The transfer is rather stable when transfering larger files ofcourse but here is a link to a pic i sent to WD http://puu.sh/lxiQD/e96c7a350e.png with the activity on the NAS also the longer spikes are when im transfering file.

Hmm good tip on the plugs will try when i get home.

Some things I thought of to check:

• What is your CPU utilization on Windows? I seriously doubt that CPU would have issues though. Just a thing to check. 
  • Since you are on Windows, you are using Samba to connect to the shares. Samba can only use a single core on the CPU for handling network traffic. Again, probably doesn't matter, but something to be aware of.
  • Open your Network Adapter page (right click network icon -> click Open Network and Sharing Center -> Change Adapter settings) and right click the adapter.
  • Click Properties -> Driver -> Update Driver.
  • Or go here and get your OS' LAN drivers for the motherboard (if you haven't already ofc).
  • Also, go back to the Adapter Properties and go to Advanced Tab then go down to "Speed and Duplex". See if 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex is an option, and if it is, switch it to that as a test (switch it back after testing file transfers as you want it on auto if you don't have an issue with auto).

Are you using TeraCopy? Just curious. Avoiding Windows' specific stuff is a plus usually.

Based on that image, you are not using TeraCopy. I recommend trying it, if only to find out there's a better copier out there (imo) than Windows' default.

I found the following through Google of things you could try:
http://superuser.com/questions/94715/windows-7-file-transfer-speed-over-gigabit-is-slow
http://www.computing.cc/windows-vista/how-to-fix-slow-shared-network-file-transfer-on-windows-vista/

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/5fa159e3-2053-4d8d-b0a9-11424c7eb196/are-you-seeing-slow-windows-7-network-performance?forum=w7itproperf

You could try iperf, as mentioned in the second comment here: 
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2311497

Be sure to run it in UDP mode or increase the window size (how much data is transferred, basically).

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for that extensive help and i finally figured out this iperf3 and this is the results from that http://puu.sh/njZo4/e69f66b2b0.png

Since i posted the original post ive acquired a laptop so i could do this iperf test.

if i read this correctly i should be quadrupling my speed as stated in the 1st post considering the file transfer. 

I also tested teracopy and must say i really like that :)

Ive tried to force 1gbit connection on both pc and NAS and jumbo frame but the forced 1gbit connection only slowed it down and it became unstable transfer rate.

Im thinking there is some fault on the NAS since a friend of mine has the exact same nas and exact same hdd's in it and hes getting up towards 70 MB per second transfer rate.

I just set up shared folder on each pc and i was able to get 100MB per second transfer but im unable to get that to my NAS :(