R9 270 Overclocking Woes

Lotus

I'm throwing all my old parts together in a build for my roommate to use, including an Asus R9 270 DCIIOC. When I had it in my rig, it hit 1125 MHz stable and did very well, but now when I'm benchmarking with Firestrike, it won't go above 950 MHz even though stock clock speed on that version is 975 MHz. I've tried Crimson 15.30 and Catalyst 15.7.1 drivers and both have the exact same problem. I have no clue what is going on. I've tried overclocking via Catalyst and via MSI Afterburner. At this point I'm just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. OS is a completely fresh install of Windows 7 Home, 64 bit. I'm at a loss here, and my google fu is failing me.

edit: to be clear, my overclocking utilities (MSI and AMD Overdrive) both show 1050 (my first OC target) but clock monitoring software shows it never going above 950 MHz UNLESS the overdrive application is open and I made a change and hit apply, which makes no sense to me.

edit2: temp monitoring software says the card never goes above 62°C.

Edited by Lotus

could it have gotten damaged

CPU: i5 4690k  (overclocked to 4.3ghz)             CPU Cooler: Cryorig h7                 MOBO:  Msi Z97 pc mate             RAM: 8GB HyperX 1600 blue

GPU: rx480  4gb                                                 CASE: Corsair Spec-01 red              OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 500   watt                                       SSD:    v60gb Mushkin ssd                HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

could it have gotten damaged

I don't see what damage could cause an artificial clock limit. It's not artifacting or producing faults in any way. It was safely stored though.

I still haven't found out what's going on.

I've tried 4 different drivers all the way back to 14.4, and it all results in the same problem. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.