Worth paying more for ATH-M40x over M30x

ghostR

So My gaming headset gave in and I am just able to afford a new pair of headsets. However everybody is telling me to get proper grade ones. Like Sennheiser or Audio-Technica. My budget is pretty low. However I can stretch it a little to afford the M40x. 

Is there really a big difference between the two? and is it worth it?

So My gaming headset gave in and I am just able to afford a new pair of headsets. However everybody is telling me to get proper grade ones. Like Sennheiser or Audio-Technica. My budget is pretty low. However I can stretch it a little to afford the M40x. 

Is there really a big difference between the two? and is it worth it?

i dont think they are to good for gaming... small soundstage. i would look into some open back headphones

look at the tek syndicate vids on gaming headphones

they will help you out alot

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

What is your budget?

Well using my currency my max budget is (ZAR) R1500 which is basically $100~

Well using my currency my max budget is (ZAR) R1500 which is basically $100~

Then those are perfect :3

Moist

i dont think they are to good for gaming... small soundstage. i would look into some open back headphones

look at the tek syndicate vids on gaming headphones

they will help you out alot

Not really looking for amazing gaming grade. I'm more concerned about my audio needs. Such as music on the go, top quality audio tests and listening to myself when doing audio recordings like voice overs and commentating. 

Then those are perfect :3

Hopefully. I'm just looking for another set of eyes. Since you sometimes get stuck into convincing yourself sometimes :/ Thanks!

I got the M40x, you might want to plan on getting replacement ear pads. I had to get them because the default pads are very uncomfortable. Went with the Beyerdynamics DT250 velour pads, they fit on the headphones and are comfy.

Are the default pads still bearable though? I would be able to replace them. However not right away. Like lets say 3 months down the line.

HD 558?

Well how does the Sennheiser HD 558 compare vs the ATH-M40x? Then again guess its back to research this unless somebody here can point out the differences. thanks!

558 > M50x. Better sound stage and better frequency response.

Just read about that now. However I heard its problematic when taking them around like airports and all that. Where other people can hear you. Assuming its open back.