New SSD help

kb9909

The holidays are coming and I have invested in a Samsung 850EVO 500gb SSD. I heard that it will make my computer faster in boot times and all that whatnot, the only problem is I have no idea how to use it. Do I just plug in the SATA cable and it will work perfectly? My intentions are as follows:

1.Migrate all my data from my current HDD to the SSD with some migration software, like Samsung's. Im using windows 10 so im not sure if any problems will come from that. Also I made sure that I have less than 500GB on the HDD for the migration.

2. With the data migration, I intend to move my OS (windows 10) to the SSD. 

3. Use my old 1TB HDD as extra storage after moving its contents to the new drive.

I assume that plugging the drive in and running the migration software won't do all of that for me. So the pretty big question here is how do I do this? When I plug in the SATA cable, how do I get the drive to show up, or will it do so immediately? Do I have to partition the drive and configure it in any way or will the migration software do so for me? Will my PC recognize that is has to read the new drive when it boots up or do i have to change that in the boot settings?

Thanks in advance for helping

You must first partition the drive using drive manager

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

The best case is to get a completely fresh windows install on it.

If you really dont want to do that. first off, not to be mean, but you really should have looked up all of this before you invested a couple hundo into an ssd.

You'll probably have to configure some settings in your bios.

Linus has made a couple videos on ssds back when he did ncixtechtips so go look those up and you should be set. any other problems more experienced people should probably be able to help you in this situation

I would do a brand new windows install and then move the files manually after wards. Much safer than any other option.
If you have a raid card you can maybe even do a spendy setup with a SSD cache and HDD main.

But fresh install and then move is best idea and safest imo.