GTX 980Ti, which one should I buy?

armycombatvet7

Well my 780Ti died tonight and I have about $700 to spend on a new card. I wanted to wait for the newer Nvidia cards, but they don't come out until Q4 of 2016 and the 980Ti is a huge upgrade for me. Which model should I buy? Like I said, I have $700, but I want it to be worth it and last me a couple years. I have owned 2 Gigabyte cards and this is the second one that has died on me within a year.

Oh yea, and I'm not gaming above 1080p. I see no difference between 1080/1440/4k at all due to injuries sustained from deployment.

Well I have an MSI Gaming LE one... lower clocked out of the box than the standard gaming one, but the temps are fantastic and it's very quiet. Typically it's around 65-70C and I can't hear it over my case fans. So I'd recommend an MSI one with the Twin Frozr cooler :)

Honestly you cant really go wrong... Zotac and Asus would probably be the worst options (coil whine is pretty common in them from everything I've heard), with EVGA, Gigabyte and MSI all being real solid.

I might go with the MSI one. Thanks guys :) I wish it would play Witcher 3 ultra w/o hairworks in 1080p higher than 70fps but I have no video card right now anyways so why the fuck not.

Well my 780Ti died tonight and I have about $700 to spend on a new card. I wanted to wait for the newer Nvidia cards, but they don't come out until Q4 of 2016 and the 980Ti is a huge upgrade for me. Which model should I buy? Like I said, I have $700, but I want it to be worth it and last me a couple years. I have owned 2 Gigabyte cards and this is the second one that has died on me within a year.

odd. gigabyte does have a pretty good track record of longevity for myself. your 780ti is still pretty kickass. You want to check whether its still under warranty?

im currently using a Palit 980ti. It has a pretty big 2.5 slot cooler, but it works well enough for me. its still going strong for less than half a year, so i cant guarantee its longevity. it does not overclock well, but i dont leave my card overclocked since i use it for protein folding since day one. no issues on stock.

if you want to go to gigabyte windforce 980ti, do be advised that it needs 2x 8pin pcie power leads compared to palit 6 + 8 pins. probably why it wont overclock that high though.

Oh yea, and I'm not gaming above 1080p. I see no difference between 1080/1440/4k at all due to injuries sustained from deployment.

alright, i'll bite. what the heck happened?

odd. gigabyte does have a pretty good track record of longevity for myself. your 780ti is still pretty kickass. You want to check whether its still under warranty?

im currently using a Palit 980ti. It has a pretty big 2.5 slot cooler, but it works well enough for me. its still going strong for less than half a year, so i cant guarantee its longevity. it does not overclock well, but i dont leave my card overclocked since i use it for protein folding since day one. no issues on stock.

if you want to go to gigabyte windforce 980ti, do be advised that it needs 2x 8pin pcie power leads compared to palit 6 + 8 pins. probably why it wont overclock that high though.

alright, i'll bite. what the heck happened?

I'm staying away from Gigabyte. One of the fans completely died and it overheats like a bitch. Got up to 108 degrees celcius today and kept blue-screening my computer. I went with the MSI 6G 980Ti card :) It will be here Tuesday, just in time for the rest of my gifts my wife and kids sent me.