Windows stuck in infinite automatic repair loop

Hara-K1ri

Hello

I purchased a decent second hand mini-itx pc for my sister. She's turning 12 soon and my parents wanted to give her her own computer. We always planned on making a mini-itx for her, but seeing a decent one-year old system with no flaws (we checked it out), just lacking a hard drive and graphics card (and peripherals, but we had those around).

Anyway, the previous owner had W10 installed and cleaned the system, but his settings were still in the system, so we wanted to wipe it (using the built-in reset function). All went well, until the system decided to call it a day at 66% and show an error saying it couldn't complete the reset. Then we got into a boot loop. Just 'normal', as in, pc boots, tries to load windows, fails, reboot, tries again,...

I then powered down the machine, got my W10 usb installer, plugged it in an ran repair, after which I could just go for a reset again. It went to 66% again, decided to stop progressing, gave the same error and then the automatic repair loop started. I tried everything I could think of, I did the bootrec fixes in cmd, tried to run several repairs (all of which wouldn't work, no system recovery, failing to initialize,...). I used cmd to check, the file structure is still there, but I fear the registry is fucked.

Anything I can still do to fix this (would like to recover the key just to be safe)?

If the windows 10 was installed on this computer all you have to do is reinstall it and click don't have key and it will auto activate once you have it installed.

Hello

I purchased a decent second hand mini-itx pc for my sister. She's turning 12 soon and my parents wanted to give her her own computer. We always planned on making a mini-itx for her, but seeing a decent one-year old system with no flaws (we checked it out), just lacking a hard drive and graphics card (and peripherals, but we had those around).

Anyway, the previous owner had W10 installed and cleaned the system, but his settings were still in the system, so we wanted to wipe it (using the built-in reset function). All went well, until the system decided to call it a day at 66% and show an error saying it couldn't complete the reset. Then we got into a boot loop. Just 'normal', as in, pc boots, tries to load windows, fails, reboot, tries again,...

I then powered down the machine, got my W10 usb installer, plugged it in an ran repair, after which I could just go for a reset again. It went to 66% again, decided to stop progressing, gave the same error and then the automatic repair loop started. I tried everything I could think of, I did the bootrec fixes in cmd, tried to run several repairs (all of which wouldn't work, no system recovery, failing to initialize,...). I used cmd to check, the file structure is still there, but I fear the registry is fucked.

Anything I can still do to fix this (would like to recover the key just to be safe)?

Do you have any HDD's lying around? It may be useful to install something different like Linux if your sister is Tech 'Savy'.

Is the privious owners stuff still on there and everything? You could go back to a previous version of that particular windows.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz