Cities Skylines GPU Performance

wpirobotbuilder

I've got a setup with three 290's, with a 4790K. I wanted to see if/where I was being bottlenecked, so I decided to decrease the number of GPUs.

Going from 3 GPUs to 2 to 1, it seemed to make no difference. At 1600x900, maxed details, I get about 25 FPS when I'm sitting in the middle of a downtown area (~70,000 pop, tall buildings with some mods).

Decreasing the details did increase the FPS.

My CPU hasn't been maxed out, at least as far as I can tell.

My immediate guess (and from what I've seen on steam discussion) is that there is no proper multi-GPU support.

I'd like to know, from people who actually play the game, what sort of performance do you get with your setups?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

One or two of the LTT videos explains Cities Skylines is a CPU heavy game. In fact, during testing, it seemed to work most favorably on hex core processors. I'll edit post the video if I can find it. I'll also run the game and check my FPS.

Edit: LTT video: https://youtu.be/PVl8Eupbr_E?t=1m32s

I don't know why you are getting that low FPS, maybe turn down some of the details. I've found that turning down some of the features sends the fps from 30 to 60 pretty easily.

I also don't know how or if the game supports Crossfire. I'm sure some people have talked about it in forums.

Also the games is CPU heavy but the FPS is not affected by this. It is very well made where game simulation works on a separate thread from the graphics. So when the city grows the FPS doesn't go down that much(it will since there is more stuff on the screen). But the game simulation speed does go down with bigger cities. With cities of 200k the 3x speed is more like 1.5x speed.

I think it's the number of mods I have running (quite a few.

It was hard to tell initially if I was CPU bound, because I was sitting at 65% usage on all threads. But hyper-threading only gets you some percentage more, so I turned off hyper threading, and voila:

post-653-0-08196900-1450404098_thumb.png

Full usage. Hyper threading was getting me a little more out of the CPU, but only masked the bottleneck.

In addition, the 2x and 3x speeds were almost no better than the 1x speed. It's hard to run the game with that kind of load.

So, yeah, definitely CPU bound.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking