Recommended Teleprompters <=$400?

Go to solution Solved by ALwin,

So I need to invest in a teleprompter for my professional work and YouTube channel. I don't want to swing more than $500 max, preferably closer to $300-400. My budget is super tight. Just got a generous contribution towards it from a co-worker, so I need to commit, but I don't know what to get.

Couple points:

• No, I don't want to build my own. Tried that with a couple boxes and picture frame glass. It was great without studio lights on, but unusable with. I could have modified it, but on the whole more hassle than worth; I'd rather buy.
  • I don't have an iPad.
  • I have a couple small Android tablets and a 12" Surface RT (which has Powerpoint and some teleprompting apps)
  • I could also use a PC monitor if needed.
  • No, I don't want/can't use the $150 Parrot prompters for smartphones.
  • I have a small studio space - I shoot on 16-18mm lens sizes, right on top of the lens

It always takes me like an hour to hunt down which on Linus used - since they seem to refuse to link more than 1 product per video >_>

Any recommendations? Thanks!

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

• No, I don't want to build my own. Tried that with a couple boxes and picture frame glass

You should have bought "beam splitting" glass - not regular glass!

Cheap option

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1123819-REG/promptbox_sf179noir_pro_pak_prompter_one.html

pricey option

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1107223-REG/prompter_people_ul_ipadu10_ultralight_teleprompter_for_ipad_android.html

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

That would have cost money, whereas the picture frame was $5 lol

wouldnt it be cheaper/ easier to get something like a "powerpoint" on a secondary display that shows you the text... and swaps text after clicks or a few seconds?

i would try it

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

wouldnt it be cheaper/ easier to get something like a "powerpoint" on a secondary display that shows you the text... and swaps text after clicks or a few seconds?

It's blatantly obvious that I'm reading off-screen above or to the side of the lens. Tried that, it looks awful. Good for outlines, awful for scripts.

That would have cost money, whereas the picture frame was $5 lol

Yes but would cost less than $500 ;P

You can probably get a sheet for $10-$20 but yeah the ones I linked too look good for the money

Then you cant look into the camera as you talk

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yes but would cost less than $500 ;P

You can probably get a sheet for $10-$20 but yeah the ones I linked too look good for the money

Well yeah, but after spending a weekend on the first attempt, it was clear the time was not worth it, I'll pay.

and yeah, looking into those, thanks. (still open for more, especially from anyone with experience. Tablet usage isn't 100% ideal, but I know ones with built-in displays are expensive)

Well yeah, but after spending a weekend on the first attempt, it was clear the time was not worth it, I'll pay.

and yeah, looking into those, thanks. (still open for more, especially from anyone with experience. Tablet usage isn't 100% ideal, but I know ones with built-in displays are expensive)

Not sure there is really any other alternative, certainly not at that price range, ive been looking for months

I have used one designed for the iPad before and it worked extremely well, not quite on par with a professional one, but good enough for reading a script on YouTube

Not sure there is really any other alternative, certainly not at that price range, ive been looking for months

I have used one designed for the iPad before and it worked extremely well, not quite on par with a professional one, but good enough for reading a script on YouTube

Let me borrow your iPad? ;D

Let me borrow your iPad? ;D

Sure I'll just go get it.

*leaves and gets in car screeching away*

Do you have a good mounting system and fluid head to support a prompter?  These things weigh an extra kilo or two added to your camera kit weight when you're going to mount it all together.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Do you have a good mounting system and fluid head to support a prompter?  These things weigh an extra kilo or two added to your camera kit weight when you're going to mount it all together.

It should support it, but if not I will happily buy a beefier tripod. Lower concern. 

May tripod is a tad flimsy, but I have some sturdier ones - problem is I need an extra tall one - but like I said; will make it work.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

10 1/2" long, 6 1/2" wide 

Looks like it'll fit - was looking at it on Amazon, but it's cheaper here.

But I don't like that it doesn't have built-in light cover, just comes with a cloth. o_O

It's just one option, look on eBay for more.  Or just make your own custom light cover.

It's just one option, look on eBay for more.  Or just make your own custom light cover.

I think this may be what I go for. Assembly/accessibility of tablet is a lot better on this one than the B&H one. Won't make decision until tonight.

I think this may be what I go for. Assembly/accessibility of tablet is a lot better on this one than the B&H one. Won't make decision until tonight.

Or look for a second hand better option.