Need M.2 Recommendation

Eruvador
Go to solution Solved by Senzelian,

Your motherboard has one M.2 slot, which does only support M.2 SSDs with an M-Key.
"M.2/M-Key (PCIe 3.0 x4 + SATA, 22110-2242)"

I checked prices on Skinflint.co.uk and I think your best option in this case is the Samsung 951. It can achieve sequential reads of up to 2000MB/s and sequential writes of up to 600MB/s.
The NVM-e version can even achieve writes of up to 650MB/s.
It costs almost £100 at overclockers: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/samsung-sm951-128gb-m.2-pci-e-3.0-x-4-nvme-solid-state-drive-mzvpv128hdgm-00000-hd-212-sa.html

Another option is the Intel 530, but because that drive is usually more expensive and also slower I don't recommend it.

Samsung evo 850 m.2 is pretty good choice.

The 850 Evo is a B/M key M.2 SSD and B-Keys aren't supported by his motherboard.

Edit: Actually I was a bit wrong here. A motherboard with an M-Key slot can support M-Key M.2 SSDs aswell as M/B-Key M.2 SSDs, but not B-Key M.2 SSDs.

Kingston has a good explenation:

LGu2wEI.jpg

http://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/s/m2_faq

Considering this I would still recommend the Samsung SM951, cause it is the cheapest SSD that makes use of the M.2 interface, with read speeds of up to 2GB/s.
All other SSDs that are priced lower than this will still only achieve SATA 3 speeds. Then you might aswell get a normal 2.5'' SSD.

Hi guys i'm getting the asus viii hero and the i7 6700k for my new build and i want a suggestion for a reasonably price m.2 ssd

i want one that's about 120gb-250gb (bigger if possible but i don't think so on my budget) for around £100, preferably less 

I don't know much about them so that's why i posted the mobo and cpu because i know there are different sockets and i need one that works

Thanks

Your motherboard has one M.2 slot, which does only support M.2 SSDs with an M-Key.
"M.2/M-Key (PCIe 3.0 x4 + SATA, 22110-2242)"

I checked prices on Skinflint.co.uk and I think your best option in this case is the Samsung 951. It can achieve sequential reads of up to 2000MB/s and sequential writes of up to 600MB/s.
The NVM-e version can even achieve writes of up to 650MB/s.
It costs almost £100 at overclockers: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/samsung-sm951-128gb-m.2-pci-e-3.0-x-4-nvme-solid-state-drive-mzvpv128hdgm-00000-hd-212-sa.html

Another option is the Intel 530, but because that drive is usually more expensive and also slower I don't recommend it.

Samsung evo 850 m.2 is pretty good choice.

The 850 Evo is a B/M key M.2 SSD and B-Keys aren't supported by his motherboard.

Edit: Actually I was a bit wrong here. A motherboard with an M-Key slot can support M-Key M.2 SSDs aswell as M/B-Key M.2 SSDs, but not B-Key M.2 SSDs.

Kingston has a good explenation:

LGu2wEI.jpg

http://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/s/m2_faq

Considering this I would still recommend the Samsung SM951, cause it is the cheapest SSD that makes use of the M.2 interface, with read speeds of up to 2GB/s.
All other SSDs that are priced lower than this will still only achieve SATA 3 speeds. Then you might aswell get a normal 2.5'' SSD.

You can put a 950 PRO in that.

^^

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide