How to use static strap?

15Evan15

how do I use one? someone said that u put the psu in the case, then plug the wrist strap onto the case. whats the point of putting the psu in? what is the best way to use one? 

I would suggest connecting the strap to the power supply's housing and plugging the unit into the wall.

The reason why your friend suggested doing that is it(power supply) serves as a ground point for the case so it'll discharge to the ground connection of your house/apartment. Both ways work but you must have the power supply plugged in with a ground connection - no fakey adapters.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

A lot of people say connect the strap to the PSU supply housing and plugging it into the wall.

Although, some people such as Carry Holzman say that doing this can kill you but I'm not sure how much truth this is.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

A lot of people say connect the strap to the PSU supply housing and plugging it into the wall.

Although, some people such as Carry Holzman say that doing this can kill you but I'm not sure how much truth this is.

If you don't turn it on, no current passes through it except for the static electricity. Even so, that's the point of ground. It's to protect the people using the product.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

If you don't turn it on, no current passes through it except for the static electricity. Even so, that's the point of ground. It's to protect the people using the product.

this is what im talking about.... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/325867-31-good-ground-anti-static-wrist-strap (click.. see full content) the directions show the psu in the case, but the strap isnt plugged into it. whats the point of that?

But the thing is, the chances of frying a component due to static is rare unless you're building in poor conditions.

is the psu housing just the case?

I don't know what you mean. Is the PSU housing part of the case? If so, yes.

look at the first post, by godlygamer23

this is what im talking about.... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/325867-31-good-ground-anti-static-wrist-strap (click.. see full content) the directions show the psu in the case, but the strap isnt plugged into it. whats the point of that?

If you notice, it's connected to the case using an alligator clip. The static electricity goes into the case and then into the power supply due to the grounding connection.

Like I said, it must be connected to a grounded socket. No ground connection, no grounding.

But the thing is, the chances of frying a component due to static is rare unless you're building in poor conditions.

I'm not here to debate the requirement of ESD straps or grounding yourself. I'm giving the OP information on grounding themselves.

just put  a psu in your case plug in the psu. You don't have to turn on the psu then clip the alligator clip somewhere made of metal on your case. The insides of the psu are grounded to the chassis of the psu and the metal chassis touches the metal of your case and creates a grounded surface where the line into the psu has a ground wire and attaches to your home's ground bus.