Windows freezing after sound card install

jamesisninja

Hey LTT I really hope someone here can help me figure this out. I got a Sound Blaster Z today, installed it, then installed the drivers and restarted my pc, about 10 seconds after I log into windows with my pin, the cursor turns to the sand Timer, and I can move the cursor around but nothing work, can't click anything, have to hard reboot, sound comes out my headphones connected to the soundcard in those 10 seconds though. I'm trying a system recovery now, then I figured I'd try and install the drivers again and hope it was a freak accident. Failing that, a fresh windows recovery install. Posting from my phone now, ill answer any questions you need to help me out! Thanks!

Specs: i5 4570K @4.5 ghz

Msi gtx 970

Asrock Z97 pro4 mobo

Evga 850w G2 psu

Case: NZXT H440 | CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5 GHz | GPU: MSI 970, Kraken G10 | Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Cooler: H100i | PSU: Corsair AX750 w/ Sleeved Cables | Display: 3xBenQ RL2455M | Fans: 5xNoctua NF-F12, 1xBitFenix Spectre |

Just test if it happens with the sound card out... and if it still does... well, you're fucked. But if it does not, most likely faulty sound card interfering with something it should not be interfering with. Or else faulty drivers or out of date etc. (If you installed them off the included CD if there is one).

System Specs

• Gaming/work PC: 
    • Processor: Intel Core i7 4790k  @ 4.5Ghz 
    • Memory: 32GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance)
    • Graphics: ASUS GTX 980 Ti 
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z97
    • Storage: 3x 1TB Samsung SSDs (Not in RAID) & 1TB WD Black HDD
    • Case: H440 Designed By Razer

Just test if it happens with the sound card out... and if it still does... well, you're fucked. But if it does not, most likely faulty sound card interfering with something it should not be interfering with. Or else faulty drivers or out of date etc. (If you installed them off the included CD if there is one).

So I took the sound card out, same freezing problem still, so I booted in safe mode, safe mode works. So I uninstalled all the drivers, and rebooted with the card out, still freezes, which makes me think it's a registry problem? I tried a system restore, and it froze, so then I tried a different back up point, and it gave me an error.

Case: NZXT H440 | CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5 GHz | GPU: MSI 970, Kraken G10 | Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Cooler: H100i | PSU: Corsair AX750 w/ Sleeved Cables | Display: 3xBenQ RL2455M | Fans: 5xNoctua NF-F12, 1xBitFenix Spectre |

So I took the sound card out, same freezing problem still, so I booted in safe mode, safe mode works. So I uninstalled all the drivers, and rebooted with the card out, still freezes, which makes me think it's a registry problem? I tried a system restore, and it froze, so then I tried a different back up point, and it gave me an error.

It seems to be your PC. I honestly could not get any more information from you unless I was physically there. Bring it into a repair shop and ask them what the problem is. But don't tell them to fix it. Then tell me what they said and we'll see what it is from there.

System Specs

• Gaming/work PC: 

It seems to be your PC. I honestly could not get any more information from you unless I was physically there. Bring it into a repair shop and ask them what the problem is. But don't tell them to fix it. Then tell me what they said and we'll see what it is from there.

I've confirmed its a windows problem now. Pc boots Linux and safemode fine, it only freezes when booting into windows none safe mode, its not a physical issue. Any diagnostic tools/ideas?

I've confirmed its a windows problem now. Pc boots Linux and safemode fine, it only freezes when booting into windows none safe mode, its not a physical issue. Any diagnostic tools/ideas?

Maybe give startup repair a go.

System Specs

• Gaming/work PC: 

Maybe give startup repair a go.

Tried that, and a few other things, tried uninstalling audio drivers completely, seemed to mess it all up, won't even boot into safe mode anymore, so I guess I'm just reinstalling windows.

Tried that, and a few other things, tried uninstalling audio drivers completely, seemed to mess it all up, won't even boot into safe mode anymore, so I guess I'm just reinstalling windows.

Looks like thats the case :(

System Specs

• Gaming/work PC: