GPU Mem. clock halved?

no_clntrol

My memory clock is really low, trying to play any game at all makes the GPU usage stay at 99% and higher, temps just fly up to 60C and then my PC dies. Everything was fine yesterday and playing the same game at around 60% usage, 55-59C. Any clues what could be wrong? GPU is around 4 days old.

http://puu.sh/lLoY3/c29bd6045f.png

http://puu.sh/lLoUZ/ce321513ff.png

Is this the text below my post?

memory clock is fine in afterburner, dunno if the gpu tweak just shows an incorrect one

e: yep, memory clock is fine. look at gpu-z, it says about 1750 MHz, which is the stock clock for your card

what does actually happen when your pc "dies"?

memory clock is fine in afterburner, dunno if the gpu tweak just shows an incorrect one

e: yep, memory clock is fine. look at gpu-z, it says about 1750 MHz, which is the stock clock for your card

what does actually happen when your pc "dies"?

Are you sure? CPU-Z and CPUID HWMonitor says 3505 as well.. :S

Temps and usage ramp up, then everything shuts off and I cannot boot it until I reconnect the PSU. I also end up with this error in event viewer:

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date:          2015-12-06 14:32:15
Event ID:      41
Task Category: (63)
Level:         Critical
Keywords:      (2)
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      EmiL-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>2</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-12-06T13:32:15.149641200Z" />
    <EventRecordID>253673</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>EmiL-PC</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

that could mean a lot of things. how is your power supply? also why -200 MHz underclock on the core? CPU overclocked?

A 970 isn't 4 years old is it ? Anyway, did you do anything in particular between yesterday and now ?

|| CPU - i7 4790K @4.6GHz || GPU - MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G || Motherboard - Asus Z97-A || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury @1866MHz |Case Be quiet! Silent Base 800 ||

|| CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || Storage - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate Barracuda 2TB (+ WD Caviar Green 2TB) ||

|| Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core || Keyboard - Corsair K70 (MX Red) ||

that could mean a lot of things. how is your power supply? also why -200 MHz underclock on the core? CPU overclocked?

My power supply is rather bad, 500w total and 372w 12v. I am getting this replaced anytime soon, but so far it has been working out just fine when running GPU at around 60-70% (which is my limit atm because I am bottlenecking). Underclock was bugged out after changing back and forth from the GPU software, fixed now. And my CPU is stock.

But even though I am missing some power, I don't see why the GPU usage would just spike like that and get all these weird values.. It was running all fine yesterday :S

A 970 isn't 4 years old is it ? Anyway, did you do anything in particular between yesterday and now ?

I literally just turned off the game, shut down my computer and went to sleep. Woke up, turned off the Asus GPU Tweak, launched MSI Afterburner and went in-game, then it died on me.

how often does it crash? also 100% gpu usage is usually normal, people often complain when it's not 100% because that means you're bottlenecked by something else

how often does it crash? also 100% gpu usage is usually normal, people often complain when it's not 100% because that means you're bottlenecked by something else

It has only happened twice, both times the GPU usage was at 99-100% (Which is highly unlikely since my CPU only allows it to like 60-70%). Haven't had the "balls" to try it since I am afraid it's gonna fry or something :<

I literally just turned off the game, shut down my computer and went to sleep. Woke up, turned off the Asus GPU Tweak, launched MSI Afterburner and went in-game, then it died on me.

Very weird. Did you try lowering the settings, disabling turbo boost/lower clock speed ? just to see if it works.

|| CPU - i7 4790K @4.6GHz || GPU - MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G || Motherboard - Asus Z97-A || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury @1866MHz |Case Be quiet! Silent Base 800 ||

|| CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || Storage - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate Barracuda 2TB (+ WD Caviar Green 2TB) ||

|| Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core || Keyboard - Corsair K70 (MX Red) ||

It has only happened twice, both times the GPU usage was at 99-100% (Which is highly unlikely since my CPU only allows it to like 60-70%). Haven't had the "balls" to try it since I am afraid it's gonna fry or something :<

that sounds like a power delivery problem to me. a 500W psu should be plenty though. you could install the 970 in some other pc and see if it still happens.

that sounds like a power delivery problem to me. a 500W psu should be plenty though. you could install the 970 in some other pc and see if it still happens.

Are you sure? Still doesn't explain it running at 60% yesterday and spiking over 100% today :S

Very weird. Did you try lowering the settings, disabling turbo boost/lower clock speed ? just to see if it works.

Nope, was running at default clock speeds. I'm gonna see if I have any less demanding games and see how they run..

Are you sure? Still doesn't explain it running at 60% yesterday and spiking over 100% today :S

no

Just tried Zombie Army Trilogy, launched the game, finished the intro at 40% usage, 40C ish and 120FPS, when I reached the main menu this happened: http://puu.sh/lLs1M/5e5ff58c6e.png

Just tried Zombie Army Trilogy, launched the game, finished the intro at 40% usage, 40C ish and 120FPS, when I reached the main menu this happened: http://puu.sh/lLs1M/5e5ff58c6e.png

seriously lol 100% gpu usage is nothing to worry about. thats what should happen when you run a game

this is me starting arma 3

5fe369212a.png

seriously lol 100% gpu usage is nothing to worry about. thats what should happen when you run a game

this is me starting arma 3

5fe369212a.png

Yes, I understand that, but my PSU wouldn't be able to have my GPU running balls to the walls. I do know that the GPU is meant to run at those kinds of loads. But why the f#ck would it run at 100% usage and power when it ran the same game at 50-60% yesterday?

Yes, I understand that, but my PSU wouldn't be able to have my GPU running balls to the walls. I do know that the GPU is meant to run at those kinds of loads. But why the f#ck would it run at 100% usage and power when it ran the same game at 50-60% yesterday?

better question is why did it run at 50-60% yesterday

same game with same settings? one example i can think of is vsync, if you normally can run like 300 fps and you limit it to 60 fps your gpu usage is going to drop

better question is why did it run at 50-60% yesterday

same game with same settings? one example i can think of is vsync, if you normally can run like 300 fps and you limit it to 60 fps your gpu usage is going to drop

If it would run at 60% that would be great because much higher than that and my PSU dies.. The reason would probs be bottleneck.

Yeah, exactly the same settings, I was getting around 100FPS on the main menu when the values started to ramp up. Here's a more detailed log of the launch. 

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

If it would run at 60% that would be great because much higher than that and my PSU dies.. 

well, if you know this why did you even post here? now you know what to do to fix it