Work only PC

PimpMario

So earlier this year I spent 1K building a PC that can game... But I have yet to really game on it.  I have been playing Fallout 4 on my Xbone and every time I see a video of the game online I think "I should be playing on PC."  So I am finally going to try to wade into PC gaming. 

I also want to use my gaming PC for media content.  

My problem is that using my PC on my TV and monitor has been a nightmare.  Having to go to display setting and switch things to duplicate and/or only show on 1 screen is terrible; especially since I Have an ultra wide screen monitor.  I have had problem when I can't seem to get my pc to show up on either screen, etc, etc

So my solution for now is to put my gaming PC in my living room area hooked up to my TV to game and media on (with an xbox one controller), and buy/build a work PC to be productive on.

Should I build a cheap work PC or just spend $400 to $500 on a pre built PC or mac mini?

On this work PC I am going to be doing productivity software, web browser, office programs, maybe illustrator or gimp, and potentially audio and or light video editing.  I want it to be quick and zippy and with an ultra wide screen monitor I always have to windows side by side.

I stole this build from thorbrantly101http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LwbWFT

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($111.92 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($32.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Team DARK L3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 260X 1GB Core Edition Video Card  ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Azza Cosmas ATX Mid Tower Case  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($24.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $463.73

My other questions:
SHould I get rid of the traditional HDD and just get a bigger SSD?
What kind of graphic card should I consider if I am not going to be gaming at all?
Is it crazy to buy a second PC?
Can that build be upgraded?
I need to pay for Windows 10 even when I build a build a budget PC so should that push me towards prebuilt?

1. If you are video editing, you need the space.

2. Don't get a graphics card. Use integrated graphics.

3. Getting a second PC is fine.

4. As long as you change the PSU, it can be upgraded.

5. Get Windows off Reddit for $20.

Here's what I recommend:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($277.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($56.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $505.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-06 01:15 EST-0500

1. If you are video editing, you need the space.

2. Don't get a graphics card. Use integrated graphics.

3. Getting a second PC is fine.

4. As long as you change the PSU, it can be upgraded.

5. Get Windows off Reddit for $20.

Here's what I recommend:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($277.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($56.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $505.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-06 01:15 EST-0500

THanks for the advice.  Seriously, I appreciate it.

So you like a big upgrade to the processor?

I didn't think about need space for video, that makes sense!  SHouldn't I still get a SSD to run the OS off of?

THanks for the advice.  Seriously, I appreciate it.

So you like a big upgrade to the processor?

I didn't think about need space for video, that makes sense!  SHouldn't I still get a SSD to run the OS off of?

As long as you aren't doing 3D rendering, you are best off just getting a great processor for video editing and running off integrated graphics.

If you can afford a SSD, feel free to add one, but it isn't a priority considering you can add one later on.

As long as you aren't doing 3D rendering, you are best off just getting a great processor for video editing and running off integrated graphics.

If you can afford a SSD, feel free to add one, but it isn't a priority considering you can add one later on.

Sounds good, is an SSD really just for fast startup?

Sounds good, is an SSD really just for fast startup?

Nope in cases for video editing in adobes creative suite you can add a cache folder from the ssd also loading for most programs are virtually nonexistent on SSDs because its much lower latency and because they are around 3-4 times faster than traditional HDDs(sata ssds, pcie ssds and m.2 ssds are far superior than that)

Why not build this PC put it in your lounge and use something like steam in home streaming?

Sounds like something I should consider... it streams from one computer to the other?

Yup it works best on a wired connection you probably won't have to spend much either the specs you have above seem perfect for a HTPC

Also, for a slight iGPU upgrade and boost in the turbo clock, you could go to a i3 4370.

Realized the much better suggestion. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Yup it works best on a wired connection you probably won't have to spend much either the specs you have above seem perfect for a HTPC

I hate wireless!

Then that sort of setup should be within your reach

Would the streaming/playing of media content (movies and tv shows) suffer at all from using the weaker PC?

Would the streaming/playing of media content (movies and tv shows) suffer at all from using the weaker PC?

Not at all considering youre adding a GPU to the mix, you'll have zero problem with streaming or playing of movies from either a shared drive or streaming from the internet. Also with streaming of your games, steam in home streaming will use the horse power available to it from the PC you're streaming from rather than the one you're streaming to so I don't see any issues you'll be having in that situation.