Premiere pro CC and 4k h.264 problems

I'm out of ideas for figuring out what could be the cause.  You've tried different settings in Premiere/Media Encoder and get similar results.  I've done the same and my results are also consistent within the parameters of my files and settings.

But can I suggest something? 

I don't think you need to use 100Mbps VBR on rendering if you're going to upload to Youtube.  You're uploading a very large file for very minimal to almost no gain in quality.  Youtube's recommended settings should be enough for the quality of videos uploaded there.  It's not like people are expecting IMAX theatre quality on Youtube.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

your propberly right, the perfectionist in me just want the best quality. But i think (if any) the only difference is so samme it can't really be seen by the average user.

Why don't you export uncompressed and then do the final compression with a highly optimized encoder like x264?

where and how do i get x264 encoder software?

Test how long it takes your workstation to render out uncompressed files in Premiere first.  I tried it and it takes nearly 50-100% longer than rendering H.264 camera footage to H.264 edited footage. 

A 30s footage rendered out to 10-bit uncompressed consumed nearly 35GB of storage space, the original file out of the camera was only less than 20GB. 

4K 100Mbps H.264 rendered out file was only 450MB.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

exporting the same 10 second clip:
Prores 422(Hq) = 00:18 s
h.264 100 mbps = 01:22.

exporting the same 10 second clip:

Prores 422(Hq) = 00:18 s

h.264 100 mbps = 01:22.

Ahh right, I forgot you have ProRes.  I don't have it on Windows.  Yeah transcoding to ProRes is fast on OSX.

i don't really get it, the file size is 4x greater but it's 4 times faster :S if another encoding software can use my hardware fully a workflow of exporting in prores and then recoding to h.264 would be much faster.

i don't really get it, the file size is 4x greater but it's 4 times faster :S if another encoding software can use my hardware fully a workflow of exporting in prores and then recoding to h.264 would be much faster.

How was the CPU usage during the transcoding?

Part of the time factor is your video had to be decoded from H.264 and then re-encoded back to H.264 during the rendering process.

Try using DaVinci Resolve 12 Free to encode that ProRes footage back into H.264 for uploading to Youtube.  See how fast it goes.

Anyway, I have to find if I can get some ProRes presets for AME in Windows, I think I had them several years ago.  Found presets, no ProRes codec for Windows.

i used around 40% but it's still better than the 17-20% i had with the h.264.
will do, just have to download it first

i used around 40% but it's still better than the 17-20% i had with the h.264.

will do, just have to download it first

Also, I think VLC has a 264 encoder, try that out too.

i can't seem to export 4k h.264 in resolve or VLC a maximum of about 3000 by 2000

i can't seem to export 4k h.264 in resolve or VLC a maximum of about 3000 by 2000

I forgot Resolve Free has limited support for 4K output.

the x264 encoder you send also have a max reselution of 3840x1596.

Yeah my bad, I prefer using AME or FCX.  I hate installing other stuff on my machines that I don't need.

i would love to use AME but simply cant accept it taking 10x the amount of time i should to encode.

Have you tried something like Handbrake?

just did that was the x264 encoder link i got and that have 3840x1597 as maximum reselution for h.264

just did that was the x264 encoder link i got and that have 3840x1597 as maximum reselution for h.264

Hmm I think you might have a problem, I managed to get UHD 4K 3840x2160 resolution on Handbrake.  But not the bit rate settings I want.

i can see that linus uses sorenson squeeze for his h.264 encoding to get better multi-core preformace from his 36-core mashine, but that kind of software is damn near as expensive as my computer...

It is possible to transcode 16:9 uhd something seems to be wrong with your aspect ratio.

I forgot Resolve Free has limited support for 4K output.

Resolve has full 4k support

oh handbreake cropped my video for some reason, and after untoggeling it i could get the 2160p.
testing speed now.

Just tested on my Macbook at work, which has Resolve 12 installed, you can export 4K H.264 but to select the frame rate you want you need to import the clip first and then create a timeline with the clip selected.  And I am getting very fast render times.  The limits were in the monitoring, not the rendering/exporting.