MSI GTX 970 (with possible SLI in the future) vs MSI GTX 980 Ti?

Hey all, just wanted to get some opinions on which graphics card to go with.

I am, at this point, choosing between the 970 and 980 Ti. The only reason for me to go with the 970 is that, at this point, the budget will not really stretch to a 980 Ti.

Mostly, I play CS:GO (reasonably seriously), but am beginning to branch out into other games such as Rainbow 6 Siege, Middle Earth, Shadow of Mordor, and other more graphically intense games.

I am currently running one BenQ XL2430T (1080p, 144Hz), but may, at some point, get more monitors (unlikely though).

So, is it worth saving up for a bit longer to get the 980 Ti, or should I go with the 970 and SLI it in the future when it starts lagging behind? And will the difference in VRAM be significant in the future?

Thanks

:D

Some guy called my office, trying to sell me computers. I just said "oh you mean those little box's with the tv on top? Yeah, our accountant has some". He promptly gave up and hung up the phone lol

Nothing beats a powerfull single GPU. Safe some extra Cash and get a custom 980Ti. You will smile from ear to ear.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

If you're planning on going dual GPUs, get the R9 390/390X. It has twice as much VRAM and Crossfire scales better than SLI.

Even when talking single GPUs, the 390 is a better pick over the 970.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White