Computer is overheating... I think

AKMiner

A few hours ago I got the parts for my new computer. Here are the parts you need to know: Intel i7-5820k, Gigabyte X99-UD3P motherboard, and Kraken x61.

While putting the water cooler on the cpu I noticed a few things:

1.The screws did not go through the board entirely like the small, confusing tutorial booklet said it should. Is this bad? I'm not sure. The screws are in tightly and as tight as I can manage and aren't through the board

2.I plugged the fans that came with it into the ports coming out of it. It has a weird connector at the end that I'm sure what it's for. Don't know if it goes into my system or not. Never seen it before. All NCXT websites/videos on it show NOTHING on the cables you have to plug in. I plugged in all the other cables in their respective locations (usb and fan header). After starting the system up for the first time the fans did not spin. It concerned me but I continued.

3.After a while after installing windows I'm getting constant crashes from Windows 10. One including WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. From what I've read this is could be cause from overheating the CPU as some of the other errors I've had.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something incorrectly or if windows is just having problems. Please help!

Trying not to kill my parts...

As of now I have a fan connected straight to the board but I'm still getting the errors. Not sure if maybe the water isn't running? Not sure if it's not installed correctly?

The fans need to be plugged into the pump, the pumps 3 pin needs to be plugged into the CPU fan header on the MB, the sata power needs to be connected, and their is a USB header also that will need to be plugged into one of the USB headers at the bottom of the motherboard.

Maybe a piccy to let people know what you have done already

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

The fans need to be plugged into the pump, the pumps 3 pin needs to be plugged into the CPU fan header on the MB, the sata power needs to be connected, and their is a USB header also that will need to be plugged into one of the USB headers at the bottom of the motherboard.

Ah okay. I've has the USB header plugged in from the start but no luck. I'm not sure where the sata power is. Would that be near where I plugged in my SSD? Those ports seem a bit too small for this cable

the sata power needs to be connected,

SATA power on an AiO?

"This too shall pass"

Right now my temps are 51 degrees Celsius just by sitting on my desktop. Not sure if that's good or bad for a liquid cooler. All I know is that I've been getting that error and all of them have something to do with overheating

Maybe a piccy to let people know what you have done already

I've re-seated the cooler. That's it.

SATA power on an AiO?

Thats what I thought too, but according the the video from NZXT, yeah SATA power.   At the 1:10 mark.

I'm not sure where the sata power is. Would that be near where I plugged in my SSD? Those ports seem a bit too small for this cable

Sata power is the type of cable running from your PSU to the SSD.  

Thats what I thought too, but according the the video from NZXT, yeah SATA power.   At the 1:10 mark.

I've plugged back in the kraken and all fans are spinning now. Buuuutttt now my system won't post. System turns on, fans start spinning, but nothing comes to the monitor

Nvm she's got a post

I had the system laying on it's side when I got those previous temps. Now it's standing up and it's temps are around 92 degrees Celsius... I'm guessing something's not right here

I had the system laying on it's side when I got those previous temps. Now it's standing up and it's temps are around 92 degrees Celsius... I'm guessing something's not right here

If you put your hand on the pump and turn on the system, can you feel it start running?

If you put your hand on the pump and turn on the system, can you feel it start running?

Yes. When I had it standing up it was getting some high temps. Now back on it's side it's low again. After checking when it's standing up: there seems to be a gap between the CPU and the cooler itself. When it's laying on it side it just falls onto it and works. But standing it just goes back out. I have the screws tight. Maybe the thing with the screws not going through completely on the mother board is the cause of this

You've done something wrong installing the cooler.  It should sit flush against the CPU, and the screws should apply tension holding it firmly to the CPU.  Make sure you have the standoffs placed as in the picture below

30203_nzxt%20kraken%20x61%20review%20-%2

Also how many standoffs are in the package, and are they all the same length?

Thats what I thought too, but according the the video from NZXT, yeah SATA power.

Ah well you live and learn.

Mind you that is just getting power to the AiO could equally have been a Molex connector I thought they were saying  that the AiO was, in some way, a SATA device

"This too shall pass"

You've done something wrong installing the cooler.  It should sit flush against the CPU, and the screws should apply tension holding it firmly to the CPU.  Make sure you have the standoffs placed as in the picture below

30203_nzxt%20kraken%20x61%20review%20-%2

Also how many standoffs are in the package, and are they all the same length?

It's just like it is in the photo. And no. There are standoffs with shorter ends than others. Let me test the shorter ones

It's just like it is in the photo. And no. There are standoffs with shorter ends than others. Let me test the shorter ones

The shorter ones are the correct ones.  That should get you fixed up.

The shorter ones are the correct ones.  That should get you fixed up.

Yes it is now flush against the CPU. Thanks for the help!

And another quick question before I mark this as resolved (if I can idk)

My hard drive isn't being shown as available. When I was booting up from my thumbdrive it showed both my SSD and my hard drive. Now that I've installed windows it only shows my SSD. It makes noise and vibrates when the computer is on (the hard drive). Why is it now showing up as an available storage device?

Yes it is now flush against the CPU. Thanks for the help!

And another quick question before I mark this as resolved (if I can idk)

My hard drive isn't being shown as available. When I was booting up from my thumbdrive it showed both my SSD and my hard drive. Now that I've installed windows it only shows my SSD. It makes noise and vibrates when the computer is on (the hard drive). Why is it now showing up as an available storage device?

Is the drive shown in device manager?

Shut down the system and unplug both the power and data connection to the HDD.  Now reboot the machine into windows only using the SSD.  Now shut it back down, reconnect the HDD and fire the machine back up.  Hopefully this will make windows recognize the drive.