Computers still "On" while being off

thatguyyouknow75

When computers are off, I am aware that there are programs that can remotely turn them back on. I can also remember a CIS professor telling us to always unplug ethernet when we go to bed because people are able to access our files even though our system may be off. Does this mean that as long as there is power to the computer, it is always running on some level? how can the computer communicate with others if the proccessor isnt processing, or is it always?

Just turn off the PSU/unplug it.

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

It can go a lot deeper than that

It can go a lot deeper than that

Im not worried about my stuff, my credit card is safe and people can have pictures of my dogs for all i care, but how is this possible? Is this something allowed by the OS? what exchange of code or information makes this happen when it should be off?

Im not worried about my stuff, my credit card is safe and people can have pictures of my dogs for all i care, but how is this possible? Is this something allowed by the OS? what exchange of code or information makes this happen when it should be off?

I mean personally myself I don't know that much of how this works, for all I know there could be ten different working ways and it also depends on the situation as well, maybe someone from the forum can go into detail with this聽

Like I'm not even sure what is required and what isn't for a situation like this, it comes down to possibilities聽

I mean personally myself I don't know that much of how this works, for all I know there could be ten different working ways and it also depends on the situation as well, maybe someone from the forum can go into detail with this聽

thats what im hoping for xD Unfortunately i seem to have posted when there arent many active users

Surely if you have a hard drive there won't be enough power for it to spin up and people to read data off of it

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

Surely if you have a hard drive there won't be enough power for it to spin up and people to read data off of it

Again, I don't know this stuff but an idea or possibility off the top of my head would be something like wireless charging and power

exactly! so how can computers be started remotely?

BIOS setting, I forgot what it's called but it's something with an ethernet connection that can work over a network

There's a function in the BIOS called "Wake-ON-LAN." It allows a computer to be remotely booted up via the onboard NIC with the right commands and access. Usually this is restricted to the local network but it is possible to gain access from the outside.

Schools and businesses use the Wake function to perform mass software updates during downtime for instance.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

There's a function in the BIOS called "Wake-ON-LAN." It allows a computer to be remotely booted up via the onboard NIC with the right commands and access. Usually this is restricted to the local network but it is possible to gain access from the outside.

Schools and businesses use the Wake function to perform mass software updates during downtime for instance.

Being able to have control and power like that, that is why I love networking even though I'm shit at it D:

Being able to have control and power like that, that is why I love networking even though I'm shit at it D:

lol well to be fair, it's not a function that is easily enabled. From my experience it has to be enabled by an operator straight from the BIOS, there are no windows-based BIOS utilities (that I've seen anyways) that allow access to those particular functions. So really the most vulnerable to this kind of thing would be schools or businesses where these settings are guaranteed to be enabled.

I do remember when I worked with a school IT tech for a few months we had a program that was built to access all computers on the school network using a specific network adapter. This made it so any computer with that exact card installed could be accessed directly no matter what. It was super cool.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

When computers are off, I am aware that there are programs that can remotely turn them back on. I can also remember a CIS professor telling us to always unplug ethernet when we go to bed because people are able to access our files even though our system may be off. Does this mean that as long as there is power to the computer, it is always running on some level? how can the computer communicate with others if the proccessor isnt processing, or is it always?

U can't access data on HDD/SSD if it's powered down (no power = no way to transmit/receive data).
IF Wake-On LAN fuction is Enabled in BIOS, and IF somehow some will remotely power on your PC, and IF U will have shared folders on that computer (with global privileges [ie. everyone on network can access it]), that's the only folder intruder can access (in theory, I assume U don't have a virus/trojan/worm that can manipulate settings on that PC direcly).

So your proffessor was right to an extent, but fact is : U can't access data on switched off hard drive (without switching it on again).

CPU : Core i7 6950X@ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut聽+ TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB:Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @聽3042MHz CL12.12.12.24聽CR2T@1.48V.
GPU聽:聽Titan XpCollector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC: Motu M4聽+ Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

I've been trying to figure out why my computer turns on randomly at night sometimes. I always unplug it before sleeping now.聽

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio:聽SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers