Adding another SSD

tonyeezy

Just picked myself up a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO for the black friday deals this weekend and a bit curious on which drive I should keep my Windows installation on.

The Samsung drive has read/write speeds over 500MB/s while my older SSD (Crucial M4) has 500MB/s read and 175MB/s write.

Would I notice any speed improvements with faster writes while running Windows or should I just use the Samsung drive purely for games rather than installing Windows on it, games and then just use the Crucial M4 drive for games/other stuff?

-snip-

Yeah, I would use the Samsung as the OS drive and have the M4 be the game drive. You'll notice the difference (At least in program loading times).

I have a M4 in my laptop and my Sandisk Extreme Pro / Extreme 2 absolutely crushes it in terms of program load time. It's very minor though, but still noticeable.

Surprised your M4 does 500MB/s read though, mine does 430MB/s.

Just picked myself up a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO for the black friday deals this weekend and a bit curious on which drive I should keep my Windows installation on.

The Samsung drive has read/write speeds over 500MB/s while my older SSD (Crucial M4) has 500MB/s read and 175MB/s write.

Would I notice any speed improvements with faster writes while running Windows or should I just use the Samsung drive purely for games rather than installing Windows on it, games and then just use the Crucial M4 drive for games/other stuff?

Put windows on it! then redirect your documents, pictures ect to the m4 

If you want a reply PLEASE QUOTE ME!

WE NEED CUSTOM MEMBER TITLES AGAIN!!!!!

Member title post link!

Yeah, I would use the Samsung as the OS drive and have the M4 be the game drive. You'll notice the difference (At least in program loading times).

I have a M4 in my laptop and my Sandisk Extreme Pro / Extreme 2 absolutely crushes it in terms of program load time. It's very minor though, but still noticeable.

Surprised your M4 does 500MB/s read though, mine does 430MB/s.

Awesome! Yeah, I am going off the Newegg.com stats haha I did just run a benchmark though it seems about right? Never bench marked my drives.

image.png

Put windows on it! then redirect your documents, pictures ect to the m4 

I didn't even realize you could redirect the Windows pictures, documents, etc folders to different places haha sweet. I usually store all my data, videos, etc on my 1TB HDD!

Awesome! Yeah, I am going off the Newegg.com stats haha I did just run a benchmark though it seems about right? Never bench marked my drives.

image.png

I didn't even realize you could redirect the Windows pictures, documents, etc folders to different places haha sweet. I usually store all my data, videos, etc on my 1TB HDD!

Yeah! keeps my 250gb ssd clear for another game :)

If you want a reply PLEASE QUOTE ME!

WE NEED CUSTOM MEMBER TITLES AGAIN!!!!!

Member title post link!

-snip-

Yeah, seems about right. Mine does 430 MB/s read but does 300MB/s write. Though my drive was empty when I was testing it (No OS at the time).

Both 4Ks tests (read and write) are higher than my drive. Mine is going on 2 years strong and still works great as my laptop drive.

And yeah, you can redirect data to the other SSD. I have my documents pointed to my NAS, which holds my data.

Fantasic! Thank you guys both!!!

Ah, I jogged my memory a little. I remember the read speed being faster on my M4, but I did a firmware update (I think it's MU06? or MU04 to the latest M4 firmware) and it did change the write / read ratio a bit. You should consider seeing if your M4 needs a firmware upgrade.

~snip~

Hey there tonyeezy,

The newer SSD seems better for the OS as the write speeds do matter when it comes to general performance. I would either clone the old SSD to the new one or, what I would recommend, do a complete fresh install of the OS and all applications.
Do have in mind that gaming relies on the storage's performance only for the loading times and autosaves while FPS and graphics stay unaffected. This means that gaming relies much more on the read speeds rather than the write ones so the old SSD should be sufficient for a good gaming experience. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Ah, I jogged my memory a little. I remember the read speed being faster on my M4, but I did a firmware update (I think it's MU06? or MU04 to the latest M4 firmware) and it did change the write / read ratio a bit. You should consider seeing if your M4 needs a firmware upgrade.

I'll have to go to their site and check into that, thanks!

Hey there tonyeezy,

The newer SSD seems better for the OS as the write speeds do matter when it comes to general performance. I would either clone the old SSD to the new one or, what I would recommend, do a complete fresh install of the OS and all applications.
Do have in mind that gaming relies on the storage's performance only for the loading times and autosaves while FPS and graphics stay unaffected. This means that gaming relies much more on the read speeds rather than the write ones so the old SSD should be sufficient for a good gaming experience. :)

Captain_WD.

Awesome, I plan on doing a fresh install on the new drive, it doesn't take me too long to set Windows up. Thank you!