Best GPU for $150

moneymike
Go to solution Solved by Starelementpoke,

I am looking for a new GPU to replace my brother in laws 7770. He bought Fallout 4 and only gets 30fps give or take on medium on like a 720p monitor. I am mostly familiar with Nvidia GPUs but I know AMD gets better price for performance at lower prices. I was thinking like a R7 370 4GB after doing some research, but wanted to see others opinions before he buys it. Thanks.

For the record. AMD and Nvidia are practically trading blow for blow at all price points right now, even high end.(If you count the stock 980ti) And the 370 should be fine, but you should be able to find some used 7950's and 7970's for around that price.

I am looking for a new GPU to replace my brother in laws 7770. He bought Fallout 4 and only gets 30fps give or take on medium on like a 720p monitor. I am mostly familiar with Nvidia GPUs but I know AMD gets better price for performance at lower prices. I was thinking like a R7 370 4GB after doing some research, but wanted to see others opinions before he buys it. Thanks.

For the record. AMD and Nvidia are practically trading blow for blow at all price points right now, even high end.(If you count the stock 980ti) And the 370 should be fine, but you should be able to find some used 7950's and 7970's for around that price.

Yeah he wants a new GPU and 2GB doesnt seem adequate so thats why I went for the 4GB version.

Yeah he wants a new GPU and 2GB doesnt seem adequate so thats why I went for the 4GB version.

Tell him nothing is ever new. Just a lot less used.

$150 look for an R9 270x or a used R9 280/x.

If you absolutely WANT new a GTX 950 and I believe a 270x are trading blows but a 270x is slightly ahead.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Depends... Look at my 750TI for an example. Yeah the VRAM probably limits me to an extent though I have no problem running Shadow of Mordor at Medium Settings for a smooth 60FPS with drops that don't go below 55.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)