I'm  buying a new laptop (the Asus rog g551jw with the 256 gb SSD) and wanted to get more storage, so I'm also getting a samsung 850 evo 500 gb ssd and of course a HDD caddy. I was wondering if you guys knew some good free cloning software so I could use the new SSD as my main drive. 

Acronis True Image is what you want, boot from the disc, choose the drive you want clone, choose the drive you want to clone to, let it do it's thing, power down, swap out 256GB with 500GB and boot into Windows everything will be as it was, format other SSD and away you go - Hope this helps.

Corsair Obsidian 350D Chassis / i7 4790K @ 4.0Ghz / Asus Strix GTX 970 / 16GB Red Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 1600 Mhz / Asus Maximus VII Gene / Corsair H100i CPU Cooler / Crucial 250GB SSD / Crucial 480GB SSD / Seagate 1T Barracuda 7,200 RPM SATA III / Seasonic G750W PSU / ASUS Vulcan Headset / Corsair M65 / Corsair K70  / Razer Vespula Mouse Mat / 2 x 22" LG 22EA63 Monitors @ 1080p / 1 x 24" BenQ 144 Hz Gaming Monitor -   :P

Acronis True Image is what you want, boot from the disc, choose the drive you want clone, choose the drive you want to clone to, let it do it's thing, power down, swap out 256GB with 500GB and boot into Windows everything will be as it was, format other SSD and away you go - Hope this helps.

Do you know something free that is reliable?

Sorry no, I only use acronis and it's worth it if you buy it

Corsair Obsidian 350D Chassis / i7 4790K @ 4.0Ghz / Asus Strix GTX 970 / 16GB Red Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 1600 Mhz / Asus Maximus VII Gene / Corsair H100i CPU Cooler / Crucial 250GB SSD / Crucial 480GB SSD / Seagate 1T Barracuda 7,200 RPM SATA III / Seasonic G750W PSU / ASUS Vulcan Headset / Corsair M65 / Corsair K70  / Razer Vespula Mouse Mat / 2 x 22" LG 22EA63 Monitors @ 1080p / 1 x 24" BenQ 144 Hz Gaming Monitor -   :P