New Build: Going a bit crazy

dinidu

So, I'm planning on putting a new build together, and this is what I've come up with. It'll be a dual-purpose computer, which will be used for both working and a lot of gaming.

Asus Sabertooth Z77

Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5Ghz (3rd Generation)

Asus Geforce GTX 680 2GB DDR5 DirectCUII TOP (To be SLI-ed with the same during Phase II of the build)

Memory Corsair 16 GB (2x8GB) Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3 Kit (To be doubled during Phase II)

Corsair Force GS 240GB SATA 6Gbps SSD (RAID 1 during Phase II of the build)

Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM (RAID 1 during Phase II of the build)

Asus Blu-ray Writer

Cooler Master HAF XB

Power Corsair AX1200

Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler

I need help in a few things.

a) Am I over budgeting for power?

b) Anything that I should add or remove?

Thanks, and this is my first time posting here! Huge fan of Linus :D

CPU: If it's just for gaming + Internet and word processing ect then the 3570K is perfectly fine.

Board: I personally find the Sabertooth to be way overpriced for what it offers. Look into the P8Z77-M and -V series from Asus, the ASRock Extremes or the MSI MPower.

RAM: You don't need more than 8 and certainly not more than 16. 32 would be a waste.

Cooler: Alternative would be the Swiftech H220

HDD: The only two Toshiba drives I've had both died horrible deaths. Have a look at WD Blacks and Seagate Barracudas.

SSD: They're okay - alternatives would be the OCZ Vector or Samsung 840 Pro.

GPU: Not bad

PSU: Way way overkill. 750W maximum seeing as you plan to SLI. You could probably cope with a 650w though.

What Windspeed said. PC games arent very demanding at the moment. Ive got a very miss matched pc and I can generally max everything out and games still run perfectly fine. RAM is probably the only thing you can sploosh out on and it wont matter either way because you dont need more than 8GB most of the time but its generally so cheap its not going to hurt the budget.

Heres my build specs:

Asus P8H77

Intel Core i5 3750K 3.5Ghz

MSI GTX 560Ti 2GB OC

8GB Corsair Vengance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM

Asus DVD-RW drive

Corsair 650D

Corsair HX650

Corsair H100

That plays most games perfectly on max settings, processes open office documents perfectly, Photoshop CS5... It just doesnt care, other than being really loud but Im pretty sure my H100 is buggered and its not controlling my fans, but I dont care enough to fix it.

Im just saying, you usually dont need to get every expensive piece of hardware you see. If it looks cool and you really want it, hell yea.

I kind of think after re-reading all the parts you want to use, if you are going to spend that amount of money on parts you might aswell go all out and water cool it all.

Why a toshiba drive and not a WD Black.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel i7-3930k @4.2GHz

Motherboard: Asus X79 Sabertooth

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100

Case: Corsair 600t

RAM: 8x4GB Corsair Vengance Black 1600mhz CL9

GPU: Gigabyte 6870OC (pending for the 8000series or the 700 series)

PSU: Corsair AX1200

Boot Drive: Sandisk Extream 240GB

Game Drive: OCZ Agility 3 120GB

Storage Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB

Ram Cooler: 2x Kingston HyperX Memory Cooler (Blue)

CPU: Intel i7-3930k @4.2GHz,  Motherboard: Asus X79 Sabertooth, CPU Cooler: Corsair H100, Case: Corsair 600t, RAM: 8x4GB Corsair Vengance Black 1600mhz CL9, GPU: Gigabyte 6870OC ,PSU: Corsair AX1200 ,Boot Drive: Sandisk Extream 240GB ,Game Drive: OCZ Agility 3 120GB ,Storage Drive - 1: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB ,Storage Drive - 2: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB ,Ram Cooler: 2x Kingston HyperX Memory Cooler (Blue)

What Windspeed said. PC games arent very demanding at the moment. Ive got a very miss matched pc and I can generally max everything out and games still run perfectly fine. RAM is probably the only thing you can sploosh out on and it wont matter either way because you dont need more than 8GB most of the time but its generally so cheap its not going to hurt the budget.

Heres my build specs:

Asus P8H77

MSI GTX 560Ti 2GB OC

Asus DVD-RW drive

Corsair 650D

Corsair HX650

Corsair H100

That plays most games perfectly on max settings, processes open office documents perfectly, Photoshop CS5... It just doesnt care, other than being really loud but Im pretty sure my H100 is buggered and its not controlling my fans, but I dont care enough to fix it.

Im just saying, you usually dont need to get every expensive piece of hardware you see. If it looks cool and you really want it, hell yea.

I kind of think after re-reading all the parts you want to use, if you are going to spend that amount of money on parts you might aswell go all out and water cool it all.

if he is going for watercooling it would be hard in that case

CPU: Intel i7-3930k @4.2GHz,  Motherboard: Asus X79 Sabertooth, CPU Cooler: Corsair H100, Case: Corsair 600t, RAM: 8x4GB Corsair Vengance Black 1600mhz CL9, GPU: Gigabyte 6870OC ,PSU: Corsair AX1200 ,Boot Drive: Sandisk Extream 240GB ,Game Drive: OCZ Agility 3 120GB ,Storage Drive - 1: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB ,Storage Drive - 2: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB ,Ram Cooler: 2x Kingston HyperX Memory Cooler (Blue)

Heres my build specs:

Asus P8H77

MSI GTX 560Ti 2GB OC

Asus DVD-RW drive

Corsair 650D

Corsair HX650

Corsair H100

if he is going for watercooling it would be hard in that case

Understood. If he is spending the money, buy a bigger case.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/E7Ww Here's what you are looking at in terms of pricing. The 2011 platform would work a lot nicer with your build if you plan on SLI in the future. Close to the same price with a lot more performance. Your PSU you had would be way too overkill - you could buy one and be in the enthusiast class of people, but sometimes you want to save money. A 750w would work for you, even if you overclock. The Samsung 840 pro series is the best out there right now, so I added that to the build. Also, if the HDD is not an SSD, grab something like a WD blue drive at least if you want performance and reliability.

My Rig:

• CPU: 1090T@4.1ghz
  • GPU: Gigabyte 7870
  • MOBO: Crosshair Formula V
  • RAM: 8GB 1333mhz
  • PSU: 650w corsair HX
  • SSD: 120GB Kingston HyperX
  • Sound card: Asus Xonar DX