High GPU idle temp?

Sincostan
Go to solution Solved by Najuno,

Only one fan spins at idle. Don't know how to turn them both off as the fan speed is already set to 0 in MSI afterberner. Was also wondering if the core clock was suppose to drop at idle. Just concerned me as I was used to much lower temps with my old gpu (GTX 770).

I´m not sure if the you can stop both fans but that more or less confirms what I already assumed. This is a low noise fan profile. My Asus STRIX turns both fans off completely until the temp reaches 55° Celsius.

If you want lower idle temps just go into Afterburner´s fan setup and make a custom fan profile but you have nothing to worry about.

I currently have a MSI GTX 980 and it runs at 50C at idle. I was looking at msi afterburner and it is running at about 38% power usage and 1190mhz(at idle). I have tried running it in silent mode but every thing is the same. However under load it runs at 70-75C with no OC and fans at 80% so I don't think there are any problems there. Any suggestion as to why is running so hot at idle and how I can fix it?

CPU: i7 6700k | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M7 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 G.Skill RipJaws V @ 2400mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Twin Frozr | Case: Corsair 300r windowed | Storage: 1TB HDD and 128GB SSD | PSU: Corsair RM850i | Monitor: BenQ xl2420z | Cooler: Corsair h60 | Sound: Astro A40 | Mouse: Razer Taipan | OS: Win 8.1 | PCPartPicker Link: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/xV7tZL

The fans stop spinning at idle, right?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

MSI 980 has a feature called zero Frozr. It turns fans off on idle/low load to keep sound/power consumption at a minimum. My buddies 980 actually maxes CS:GO and the fans dont even turn on. It will obviously run a tad hotter at idle though you get the aforementioned pros out of it. hope I helped :D

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

Look in MSI Afterburner with what clock speed the card runs in idle. For it should be very low. If that´s the case then go an make a custom fan profile and try different settings. 50° isn´t really a problem but I think your card´s fans might spin very slow in idle.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Only one fan spins at idle. Don't know how to turn them both off as the fan speed is already set to 0 in MSI afterberner. Was also wondering if the core clock was suppose to drop at idle. Just concerned me as I was used to much lower temps with my old gpu (GTX 770).

CPU: i7 6700k | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming M7 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 G.Skill RipJaws V @ 2400mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Twin Frozr | Case: Corsair 300r windowed | Storage: 1TB HDD and 128GB SSD | PSU: Corsair RM850i | Monitor: BenQ xl2420z | Cooler: Corsair h60 | Sound: Astro A40 | Mouse: Razer Taipan | OS: Win 8.1 | PCPartPicker Link: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/xV7tZL

I´m not sure if the you can stop both fans but that more or less confirms what I already assumed. This is a low noise fan profile. My Asus STRIX turns both fans off completely until the temp reaches 55° Celsius.

If you want lower idle temps just go into Afterburner´s fan setup and make a custom fan profile but you have nothing to worry about.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Thanks, was just wondering why the idle was high. I was aware of the Zero Frozr fan thing but I still thought the card should be running cooler as the benchmarks showed the idle temp being much lower(35-40C). Thanks for all the help!