First Build, No Power

bak_yn
Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,

I just have the 24 pin connected to board and the psu. is the 8 pin aux the 4+4 pin eps12v cpu cable? I didn't think I needed that as I have no cpu yet

The board won't power up without that connected.

Hey guys. I received my ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 mobo and wanted to test it out to make sure it's not defective as I wait on my cpu, gpu, and ram to arrive. I wanted to mess around with the cables and get a feel on how how I should route everything. I can't for the life of me get anything to turn on though. I'm hoping it's user error and not a doa board. I've tested the psu with the mobo connector tester also and it starts up fine. The connectors for my psu are powerSW, power led +, power led -, reset sw, and hdd led +/-. I've looked at my mobo manual and im pretty sure I'm placing the connectors the right place and direction. This is my first build and I'm new to all this so I'm stuck as to what I need to do.

you need a CPU and some Ram before a motherboard will work.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

you need cpu + ram, but always triple check all connections to make sure all cables are plugged in correctly. The power button may be on backwards or other things could be wrong. As you said you did check but if all fails and you did what the manuals say that return it as a DOA

you need a CPU and some Ram before a motherboard will work.

I figured that before I even started doing anything but I searched and I read that you can still power it on without? If not I feel dumb lol.

The switches can go either way, even if you do connect the LEDs backwards it won't stop the board from booting.

Have you got both the 24 pin power & 8 pin auxiliary power connected to the board?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

it can power on but you literally cant see or do anything

Yeah that's what I was seeing if it would power on at all. Right now no fans lights or anything come on.

The switches can go either way, even if you do connect the LEDs backwards it won't stop the board from booting.

Have you got both the 24 pin power & 8 pin auxiliary power connected to the board?

I just have the 24 pin connected to board and the psu. is the 8 pin aux the 4+4 pin eps12v cpu cable? I didn't think I needed that as I have no cpu yet

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

so that has to be connected even with no cpu installed?

so that has to be connected even with no cpu installed?

without a cpu and ram your motherboard is pretty much useless

and once you have your cpu and ram you need to connect the 20+4 pin, the cpu 4+4 pin,6+2 pin gpu cables or just 6 pin or pins it depends on the gpu you have. just make sure all cables are in securely 

without a cpu and ram your motherboard is pretty much useless

and once you have your cpu and ram you need to connect the 20+4 pin, the cpu 4+4 pin,6+2 pin gpu cables or just 6 pin or pins it depends on the gpu you have. just make sure all cables are in securely

okay, I'll just wait until my last 3 parts arrive to put it together. And I bought a msi Radeon r9 390x.