Boot Menu Options

ZombifiedPyro
Go to solution Solved by z0ne,

Go into your boot menu and set hdd 2 or hdd 3 as first boot device? To get into your bios you press a key when you get the splash screen, f2 on dell MoBo's I think.

Basically change your boot priority in your BIOS.

Hey so I recently installed Linux, enjoyed it a lot, but due to touch pad issues have since uninstalled it. GRUB is still on the computer and I have to type "exit" then select windows every startup.

30bdag6.jpg

If I pick HDD 2 or 3, windows starts, but it always boots with HDD 1,cuaseing grub to start. Any clue how to get rid of this?

I have tried a recovery drive using bootrec fixboot and fixmbr. Neither replace this.

EDIT: This is a dell inspiron laptop.

Here is a picture of disk management. I should have taken better note of which partitions were there to start. I know I deleted my ubuntu and swap partition, but I dont know if it created one of the other 500MB partitions. The 12GB I believe is windows recovery/paging or something.

2e5s7rr.jpg

Thank you,

ZombifiedPyro

Edited by ZombifiedPyro

Athlon X4 760K | MSI A88X-G43 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz | MSI R7 260X 2GB | Corsair 300R | Corsair CX430 | 640GB HDD | Windows 7 64-bit

HP W2071d 20" 900p TN | Stock Dell K/B | Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 + SteelSeries Qck Portal 2 Ed. | Grado SR80i + cheap 2.0 speakers

Go into your boot menu and set hdd 2 or hdd 3 as first boot device? To get into your bios you press a key when you get the splash screen, f2 on dell MoBo's I think.

My Rig:

Model: P650RG | Brand: Clevo | CPU: 6700HQ | GPU: 980M | RAM: 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X DDR4 | SSD: 2x 480GB Kingston KC300 | Screen: 3K Panasonic IPS LED 

So you fried fixboot. What about bootrec /fixmbr ? That wiped grub off of my Windows install.

Edit: Nevermind. I just read it on my laptop, not my phone and saw that you tried fixmbr already.

So when I had issues with Grub, I had to clear CMOS to get rid of the Debian listing in my UEFI, then I ran bootrec /fixboot and bootrec /fixmbr. After all of that, then my Windows started normally again. You've already tried some of those steps. Unless anyone else has more experience with this issue, you can also try rebuilding the BCD which is done using bootrec /rebuildbcd .

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

This worked. I had originally missed the instructions in the BIOS for moving the priority. Someday we will have pretty BIOSes on laptops, until then its F5 and F6 to move up/down. Turned off secure boot, changed it around and it works fine.

So you fried fixboot. What about bootrec /fixmbr ? That wiped grub off of my Windows install.

Edit: Nevermind. I just read it on my laptop, not my phone and saw that you tried fixmbr already.

So when I had issues with Grub, I had to clear CMOS to get rid of the Debian listing in my UEFI, then I ran bootrec /fixboot and bootrec /fixmbr. After all of that, then my Windows started normally again. You've already tried some of those steps. Unless anyone else has more experience with this issue, you can also try rebuilding the BCD which is done using bootrec /rebuildbcd .

Clearing CMOS might work, I will look into that in the future to remove the HDD1 listing. Until then it isn't taking up much space so its mostly OCD. I don't believe it is preventing fast boot either.

Athlon X4 760K | MSI A88X-G43 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz | MSI R7 260X 2GB | Corsair 300R | Corsair CX430 | 640GB HDD | Windows 7 64-bit

HP W2071d 20" 900p TN | Stock Dell K/B | Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 + SteelSeries Qck Portal 2 Ed. | Grado SR80i + cheap 2.0 speakers