Mic for $100 CAD

KirbyTech

I am looking to get a decent either lav or shotgun mic for about $100 CAD Any recommendations? If you have no experience with the one you suggest please link a review where you found it to be good.

I am looking to get a decent either lav or shotgun mic for about $100 CAD Any recommendations? If you have no experience with the one you suggest please link a review where you found it to be good.

Do you want XLR or mini-jack connector?  (For the shotgun) Mounting on a stand, table, camera?

And what sort of recording are you planning to do?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Do you want XLR or mini-jack connector?  Mounting on a stand, table, camera?

And what sort of recording are you planning to do?

Recording will mostly be of myself and some other random stuff. Mounting does not matter too much as I will just get what I need for it although mounting onto the camera would be great if it was a shot gun mic. As for XLR or mini jack, I am fine with either as I have adapters to fit what ever I decide on for a recorder. 

Recording will mostly be of myself and some other random stuff. Mounting does not matter too much as I will just get what I need for it although mounting onto the camera would be great if it was a shot gun mic. As for XLR or mini jack, I am fine with either as I have adapters to fit what ever I decide on for a recorder. 

Ok, so recording will mostly be your voice, speaking and singing?

100 CAD is about 75USD, give or take a few.  There wont be that many options for that budget, but I will recommend a few good/pretty decent ones.

For a lav, the Rode SmartLav is popular.  You can also try the Shure MVL lav.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1059342-REG/rode_smartlav_smart_lav_lav_mic_for.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1166286-REG/shure_mvl_mvi_omnidirect_condenser_lavalier.html

For shotguns, try Rode VideoMicro, Audio Technica ATR6550,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1183909-REG/rode_videomicro_compact_on_camera.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/664440-REG/Audio_Technica_ATR6550_ATR6550_Condenser_Shotgun_Microphone.html

There may be a few other brands/models that are within your price range and offers decent quality, however I am only using B&H as my reference because it's one of the stores I know that lists a very wide range of products and is easy for me to look for something within someone's budget.

For the reviews. read what customers have written.  I don't have personal experience with any of the mics mentioned, but pair them up with a very good pre-amp and they should work pretty well.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

The Rode Videomicro is pretty good, I have one for my Panasonic G7, just make sure that your camera is compatible with it.  

If you have a Canon or Nikon you might want something that has a sensitivity boost like the SGC-598 since their preamps are pretty bad.  The +10db boost from the mic should help you get cleaner audio out of your camera.