Searching for a 17" Laptop (US)

Hi,

I've started looking around for a laptop, and am wondering if I can get some LTT input. The laptop is going to replace a desktop. It should be able to multitask very efficiently, for that reason i'm thinking of a 4th gen i7 or would an i5 do? It needs to be large, but light. Here are some basic specs, some are flexible:

- 17" 1080p (or 1440p) preferably IPS/touchscreen

- i7 Haswell

- aluminum unibody (or of similar build quality) <Not flexible

- 1TB storage preferably hybrid <Not flexible

- Windows 8 <Not flexible

- longer than 4 hours of battery life <Not flexible

Money isn't an issue, so budget is also very flexible. I've looked at Acer, Asus, and HP.

Acer - R7 (i know its smaller, but i like the idea behind it)

Asus - Transformer AiO P1801 ( i personally like this)

HP - ENVY 17-j029nr (really solid computer)

Obviously I haven't gotten very far, any help?

My Build

Corsair Obsidian 350d // I7-4770k  // Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H  // MSI Gaming N760 TF 2GD5 GeForce GTX 760 // Corsair Vengance (2x8GB) 16GB // Cooler Master Seidon 240m (push-pull) // Corsair SP120 (x2) //1TB WD Blue // 120GB Samsung 840 SSD // Corsair CX600M // Win 8 - Ubuntu - OSX (on the way)

Is the video card important to you? Or are you only looking for a good processor.

The r7 is cool but the track pad placement looks so awkward and you won't want to use primarily touch anyway. If it was 17 inches and the touch pad was adjacent to the keyboard I think it would work much better.

The aio is soo cool. I was really thinking about getting it. The thing is: it's not portable at all. The only thing it is good for is taking to your kitchen and putting it on the counter.

The envy is solid traditional laptop. No surprises here.

I recommend:

The razer blade. I personally got it because of the build quality and I really like the looks. It's pricy as hell so don't get this if you want performance per dollar.

The gs 70. I has the option of outputting to 3 monitors something I would really want to have. Cheaper than the blade but may be a better package.

Both of these are built well and are fairly light for the 17 in category. You wont really find a whole lot more at this screen size.

Hope this helps. :D You might also just want to get a desktop.