Using 3 pins splitter on a motherboard fan connector

Hi guys,

I would like to buy 2x Fractal Venturi HF-14 (3 pins) and put them in front as intake instead of the stock GP-14s. I would put one GP-14 in the back as exhaust and one in the bottom as intake. However, including my NF-F12 on the CPU, I don't have enough fan headers on the motherboard for everything. I was thinking on using a 3pins splitter for the Venturis on the front since they should always be running at the same speed together. According to Fractal's website, each HF-14 has a maximum rated input current of 0.3A. Would it be safe to combine 2 together using a 3 pins splitter on a single motherboard fan header ?

My motherboard is a Gigabyte H87-D3H. I have emailed Gigabyte to know what is the available maximum current on the fans headers and haven't heard back. I thought some LTT members could answer this before Gigabyte does :)

Thanks,

Neo.

Yes, that would be safe. Most headers don't have an issue supporting at least 2 fans off of a splitter.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yes, that would be safe. Most headers don't have an issue supporting at least 2 fans off of a splitter.

Thank you.

I am asking because these Venturi HF-14 seem quite power hungry. According to Cooling Technique reviews, the HF-14 has a current of 0.22A at 12V while the NF-A14 PWM is 0.12A at 12V. Noctua fans seem to be very power efficient in general.

Thank you.

I am asking because these Venturi HF-14 seem quite power hungry. According to Cooling Technique reviews, the HF-14 has a current of 0.22A at 12V while the NF-A14 PWM is 0.12A at 12V. Noctua fans seem to be very power efficient in general.

1A is the average for motherboard fan headers.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1A is the average for motherboard fan headers.

You might be interested to know that I have receive a reply from Gigabyte support :

Dear customer,

Each fan header on mother provides up to 0.5 amp ( 6 W).

Best regards,

Gigabyte Tech Support Team

2x Venturi HF-14 (rated 0.3A from Fractal, but tested at 0.22A from Cooling Technique) might be a bit just. :(

You might be interested to know that I have receive a reply from Gigabyte support :

2x Venturi HF-14 (rated 0.3A from Fractal, but tested at 0.22A from Cooling Technique) might be a bit just. :(

Even the cpu_fan header? That header should at least support 1A. 

Hi guys,

Neo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423165

THESE will become your new favorite cable.  4 fan splitters, one for RPM control and one for power straight from PSU.  This is an AMAZING cable.  I will NEVER build a PC without them.

i7 6700k // H110i GTX, 4xNoctua 140mm Industrial 3k // Asus Z170 Pro Gaming // 8GB 2400mhz // MSI GTX 970 // Enthoo Pro M

Even the cpu_fan header? That header should at least support 1A. 

I honestly don't know. I have asked Gigabyte support and waiting for their reply. They didn't specify, as you saw in the reply I posted.

One thing I noticed while reading the manual again yesterday, is that I have a CPU_OPT fan header. This header seems to be designed for watercooling, however it has the same pinout as all chassis headers (4 pins voltage controlled). Speedfan sees the header, but since I have nothing plugged into it, it reports 0 rpm of course. I wonder if I can use this header for a case fan and voltage controlled by Speedfan. I have asked Gigabyte and waiting for a reply. I wouldn't want to blow anything up.

THESE will become your new favorite cable.  4 fan splitters, one for RPM control and one for power straight from PSU.  This is an AMAZING cable.  I will NEVER build a PC without them.

Interesting cable, but as far as I understand it, only PWM fans can be controlled by it. The Venturis that I am looking for are 3 pins. The PSU will supply 12V all the time for these. But that is a nice find, I didn't know it exists.

One thing I noticed while reading the manual again yesterday, is that I have a CPU_OPT fan header. This header seems to be designed for watercooling, however it has the same pinout as all chassis headers (4 pins voltage controlled). Speedfan sees the header, but since I have nothing plugged into it, it reports 0 rpm of course. I wonder if I can use this header for a case fan and voltage controlled by Speedfan. I have asked Gigabyte and waiting for a reply. I wouldn't want to blow anything up.

The cpu_opt fan would work fine for SpeedFan.

For starters they only support PWM fans. Secondly, while a lot of motherboards have 4-pin case fan headers, they still rely on voltage control rather than PWM. You're very likely to have all fans running at 100% all the time if you use one of those cables.

Source : I found that out the hard way. I ended up using lots of Y-cables to hook up my 8 case fans to the 2 motherboard headers. Luckily my fans were 0.2A each and MSI confirmed that the headers could handle 1A.

The cpu_opt fan would work fine for SpeedFan.

So Gigabyte Support did not answer the question regarding to the amps on the CPU fan header. But here's their reply regarding CPU_OPT :

Dear customer,

Connect system fan to CPU_OPT fan header is not recommended it was design for for cpu  water cooling fan. customer can connect extra system fan directly to power supply ( if power supply has no match connecter use system fan adapter cable).  

Best regards, 

Gigabyte technical support team.

Disappointing support so far. If I read carefully, the CPU_OPT fan header is designed for a CPU Water Cooling FAN. What is different from a Water Cooling FAN compared to a Chassis FAN in term of voltage and connectivity ? This is a rhetorical question really, because there shouldn't be any difference. It seems to me that the guy is just reading the manual.

I don't know anything about watercooling, but out of the curiosity do you plug the pump into the motherboard fan headers or into the psu ?

So Gigabyte Support did not answer the question regarding to the amps on the CPU fan header. But here's their reply regarding CPU_OPT :

Disappointing support so far. If I read carefully, the CPU_OPT fan header is designed for a CPU Water Cooling FAN. What is different from a Water Cooling FAN compared to a Chassis FAN in term of voltage and connectivity ? This is a rhetorical question really, because there shouldn't be any difference. It seems to me that the guy is just reading the manual.

I don't know anything about watercooling, but out of the curiosity do you plug the pump into the motherboard fan headers or into the psu ?

You can plug them into either.

You can plug them into either.

Thanks sir :)