Gaming on a Lenovo Y510P slower than usual

Hey guys

So I haven't really kept up with computer hardware for years now. So when initially buying my Lenovo Y510p, about a year back (End 2014), I made the mistake  of buying a laptop to replace my desktop pc as a gaming station. As a workstation I really enjoyed the laptop (Renders video like a dream), but as a gaming rig it slightly under-performs compared to my gaming tower made in 2010. I've since given the older rig to my parents to use (The old house pc still runs xp xD), which has made me game on my laptop a lot more. The reason I'm posting here is that my laptop gaming is getting less fps than usual. Should I clean out dust, format or just look at buying a new dedicated gaming tower rig.

My goal is to just run Counterstrike:GO on a constant 60 fps on low settings @1080p. (On mirage if you want to be specific) Currently I get frame drops every now and then to 40 and even 30fps. Also, before the hitbox update I was able to get 144fps on dust 2.

Here is the system specs:

· OS - Windows 10 (Installed through upgrade system from a windows 8.1 OEM installation)
· x64bit
· Original OS: Windows 8
· Hardware age: About a year
· OS age: 2 Months (I think)

· Intel Core i7-4700MQ

· NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
· Lenovo
· Y510p
· Laptop

PS: If you ask, yes, I made the stupid mistake of looking at the vram and going: I think that graphics card will do... (Unfortunately I haven't yet discovered LTT at the time)

EDIT:

Quick update: I got some time to test this one. (Switching to High Performance mode) It made some marginal improvements in 3DMark Sky Diver (1% improvement), but when playing CSGO on my usual settings, I got around 110fps in stead of the 60fps  :D The only problem I have now is that the game drops to 60fps every once in a while for a min or so. Sounds like thermal throttling to me. Further investigation required  :ph34r: 

When was the last time you cleaned out the dust?

You can try that.

|| Case: Corsair Graphite 230T || CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K || CPU Cooler: Corsair A50 || Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE 3X || Motherboard: ASUS Z87-PRO ||

|| RAM: ADATA XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) || Storage: Seagate 600 SSD 240GB, WD Black 1TB || PSU: XFX Pro 650W Core Edition || OS: Windows 10 Pro || What's an optical drive? ||

Energysaving mode? :)

Normaly CS:GO shouldn't be a problem with this Laptop

Student - Budgetbuilder - trying to save as much money as possible :D    | I love clean Setups |

PC: i5-3470. GTX660. 8GB DDR3. -> 320 USD  | Z3 -> 160USD | selfbuild Speakersystem -> 21USD

When was the last time you cleaned out the dust?

You can try that.

I haven't cleaned out the dust ever (Afraid I might void my warranty)

Energysaving mode? :)

Normaly CS:GO shouldn't be a problem with this Laptop

I've set the dedicated graphics card as the default device for all apps, but I'll see if there is some kind of energy mode running.

Just right-click on the battery in the bottom right corner. There you can choose 3 modes. Performance- Balanced- Engerysaving.

Student - Budgetbuilder - trying to save as much money as possible :D    | I love clean Setups |

PC: i5-3470. GTX660. 8GB DDR3. -> 320 USD  | Z3 -> 160USD | selfbuild Speakersystem -> 21USD

I haven't cleaned out the dust ever (Afraid I might void my warranty)

You may want to clean it. Also you can check the temperatures to see if they are running too hot, causing them to throttle.

|| Case: Corsair Graphite 230T || CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K || CPU Cooler: Corsair A50 || Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE 3X || Motherboard: ASUS Z87-PRO ||

|| RAM: ADATA XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) || Storage: Seagate 600 SSD 240GB, WD Black 1TB || PSU: XFX Pro 650W Core Edition || OS: Windows 10 Pro || What's an optical drive? ||

Just right-click on the battery in the bottom right corner. There you can choose 3 modes. Performance- Balanced- Engerysaving.

Currently it is set to balanced, so there might be something to look in. I'll check a bit later when I take a break for studying.

You may want to clean it. Also you can check the temperatures to see if they are running too hot, causing them to throttle.

Are there any good free monitoring programs and benchmarks out there? I can google myself, but I'm in the middle of exams, so if you have an answer of the top of your head it would help save me some time. Otherwise I'll google it later.

Are there any good free monitoring programs and benchmarks out there? I can google myself, but I'm in the middle of exams, so if you have an answer of the top of your head it would help save me some time. Otherwise I'll google it later.

Try HWMonitor:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

It's like nearly 5:30 AM here. I should probably sleep.

Good luck.

Try HWMonitor:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

It's like nearly 5:30 AM here. I should probably sleep.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help.

I just noticed you're in Canada, so yeah. Sleep well. I actually went to bed the same time this morning xD You know, because I had to "study"

EDIT: I'm also getting the 3D mark demo on Steam for benchmarking. I'll only get to run this in about a week, so I'll post and update a bit later. I'll try and see which of the two solutions it was, but I suspect that both will help a bit.

Quick update: I got some time to test this one. (Switching to High Performance mode) It made some marginal improvements in 3DMark Sky Diver (1% improvement), but when playing CSGO on my usual settings, I got around 110fps in stead of the 60fps  :D The only problem I have now is that the game drops to 60fps every once in a while for a min or so. Sounds like thermal throttling to me. Further investigation required  :ph34r:

I Hope I could help you :) 

I Hope I could help you :)

You sure did, I'm not going to mark this as done just yet, I still have to clean my laptop, but then I'll wrap this up.

~snip~

Hey there NuclearMosquito,

If you are worrying about thermal throttling do check the temps and loads on the CPU and GPU during the frame drops. Check the RAM and storage drives for the same things while at it. Is anything hitting 100% or abnormal temperatures? 
Cleaning dust out should help the airflow and thus lower the thermal throttling. Storage drives don't affect FPS in any way but a bad drive can force an application to struggle thus causing some drawbacks on other applications such as games. I'd check the storage drive/s on this laptop if they are performing properly. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there NuclearMosquito,

If you are worrying about thermal throttling do check the temps and loads on the CPU and GPU during the frame drops. Check the RAM and storage drives for the same things while at it. Is anything hitting 100% or abnormal temperatures? 
Cleaning dust out should help the airflow and thus lower the thermal throttling. Storage drives don't affect FPS in any way but a bad drive can force an application to struggle thus causing some drawbacks on other applications such as games. I'd check the storage drive/s on this laptop if they are performing properly. :)

Captain_WD.

Hello Captain

I do get bad performance on my drive quite often and it maxes out to 100% on a regular basis, even when I'm not in games. My CPU stays under 100% load during frame drops, but I'd expect it to, as the thing is a beast for a game like CSGO. I don't have a utility for monitoring GPU temps on a graph at the moment, so I still have to check that area.

I defragment my drive on a regular basis (It's a mechanical drive), but the drive isn't very fast these days. Should I start looking for a replacement drive or just look at formatting and reinstalling windows 10. My windows 10 also takes days to boot. The computer starts and after the bios screen my screen goes black except for the cursor. After about 7 minutes the login screen appears. This problem only started when I upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10.

~snip~

Do a full check on the drive. What's its brand and model? Get a diagnostic utility from the manufacturer and see if the drive passes the quick and extended tests. Also get a tool to see the raw values of the S.M.A.R.T. status - this should give you a pretty good idea about the drive's condition and if it's the cause of these problems. Hitting 100% is an indication of a problem so I'd do these tests before proceeding with anything else. It might be a good time to create backups of everything that you are not willing to lose in case the drive fails. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

I have a policy of keeping everything on a network nas, so I'm safeguarded in that regard, but I'll run some drive diagnostics.