PS4 and FreeSync

Suffokation

I was thinking of buying a PS4 today, when I realized that the PS4 has a GCN GPU, which means that it supports FreeSync.

In the future, could a new PS4 model support DisplayPort for FreeSync?

I think the possibilities for this could be really powerful and could have the PS4 last a year or two longer.

Just some food for thought. Any theories are welcome.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

Youll need that freesync for 24 FPS

At the moment games are a bit higher then that. Haha.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

I was thinking of buying a PS4 today, when I realized that the PS4 has a GCN GPU, which means that it supports FreeSync.

In the future, could a new PS4 model support DisplayPort for FreeSync?

I think the possibilities for this could be really powerful and could have the PS4 last a year or two longer.

Just some food for thought. Any theories are welcome.

There are plenty of GCN GPUs which don't support FreeSync, including the entire first generation of GCN chips (GCN 1.0) which includes the PS4 as far as I'm aware.

There are plenty of GCN GPUs which don't support FreeSync, including the entire first generation of GCN chips (GCN 1.0) which includes the PS4 as far as I'm aware.

You don't think it could be possible?

You don't think it could be possible?

The HD 7970/R9 280X and 280 aren't capable of FreeSync, both GCN based cards. Neither can the 270X or the 370. The PS4 also doesn't have a DisplayPort output. Adaptive-Sync (which is the protocol utilized by FreeSync) is part of the DisplayPort standard, it doesn't exist in HDMI.

The HD 7970/R9 280X and 280 aren't capable of FreeSync, both GCN based cards. Neither can the 270X or the 370. The PS4 also doesn't have a DisplayPort output. Adaptive-Sync (which is the protocol utilized by FreeSync) is part of the DisplayPort standard, it doesn't exist in HDMI.

That's what I said. If the new PS4 revision had DisplayPort it might be possible.

I mentioned this in the OP.

That's what I said. If the new PS4 revision had DisplayPort it might be possible.

I mentioned this in the OP.

Either way the processor used in the current PS4 does not support FreeSync. Although if we're talking about a new revision really anything's possible. They could use an updated processor, consoles have been known to use updated CPUs on a lower fabrication process.

Either way the processor used in the current PS4 does not support FreeSync. Although if we're talking about a new revision really anything's possible. They could use an updated processor, consoles have been known to use updated CPUs on a lower fabrication process.

I really think Sony could benefit from FreeSync implementation.

I really think Sony could benefit from FreeSync implementation.

I doubt Sony would want to encourage TVs to include DisplayPort. Sony is the head of the HDMI consortium, and collects massive royalty fees because HDMI is the dominant digital standard on TVs. DisplayPort is Sony's enemy.

I doubt Sony would want to encourage TVs to include DisplayPort. Sony is the head of the HDMI consortium, and collects massive royalties because HDMI is the dominant standard on TVs. DisplayPort is Sony's enemy.

I think the target market would be pro players who use monitors.