Homemade Softbox

Joannou1

I needed a bright even light but didn't want to spend big bucks on what's basically a few bulbs and a diffuser.. so I made one myself!

Someone gave me a box of 10 4W LED bulbs, and decided to put a few to good use.

Not very safe:

a4dbf.png

About 10% safer:

b86e5.png

Finished product:

a0084.png

Now I'm sure this violates every fire code in existence, but I'm not going to be leaving it unattended.

Gets a bit hot around the bulb heatsinks, but the surrounding cardboard is only mildly warm.

I lined the inside with tin foil, and used some cloth-like packaging material for the diffuser.

It puts out a really nice amount of light.

Took me a couple of hours to make and should tide me over till I can make a more sturdy, up-to-code one.

snip

Looks good, you could consider replacing the cardboard with something better later on.

Check this link for some ideas:

https://fstoppers.com/diy/6-diy-photography-hacks-ikea-help-you-save-money-85617

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Looks good, you could consider replacing the cardboard with something better later on.

Check this link for some ideas:

https://fstoppers.com/diy/6-diy-photography-hacks-ikea-help-you-save-money-85617

Ah cool, good stuff, thanks!

the cardboard is mostly temporary, I'll probably try the curtain method if I need more light later.

I needed a bright even light but didn't want to spend big bucks on what's basically a few bulbs and a diffuser.. so I made one myself!

Someone gave me a box of 10 4W LED bulbs, and decided to put a few to good use.

Not very safe:

a4dbf.png

About 10% safer:

b86e5.png

Finished product:

a0084.png

Now I'm sure this violates every fire code in existence, but I'm not going to be leaving it unattended.

Gets a bit hot around the bulb heatsinks, but the surrounding cardboard is only mildly warm.

I lined the inside with tin foil, and used some cloth-like packaging material for the diffuser.

It puts out a really nice amount of light.

Took me a couple of hours to make and should tide me over till I can make a more sturdy, up-to-code one.

make a plywood box and heat shrink all solder connections, :) 

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}