Building a new PC

MaybeRalph

Hi,

Kinda new to this forum but everybody seems to know what they're talking about and Im trying to get the best opinion possible for my new build. Not really sure what happened but a bunch of components in my 4 year old PC kinda just died, had a friend who is in IT look at it and he told me to salvage what I can and then build off from there.

So far we have found that My 120gb SSD works (Don't know what it is off the top of my head, can figure it out if needed), 1tb HDD (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd10ealx) and my PSU (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/thermaltake-power-supply-tr700p) semi works, I was told my my friend that its not outputting as much power as it should be currently although I don't know if that means I can't transfer it over.

1. Budget & Location

My budget is around $1500-$1800 on the parts that I need. Ive used windows 7 for 4 years and never upgraded, not sure if its worth it to do so now that Im starting fresh, let me know some of your opinions. I am based in the US so this will be in USD please.

2. Aim

I play a lot of video games nothing high end really (CSGO, skyrim, World of warcraft, LoL, Call of duty BO2/BO3, Battlefield 3/4/hardline, Dota 2), I really just want to play them at High/Max settings without lag. I also need to be able to multitask as I often have different programs running in the background while I play my video games. Nothing to CPU intensive, but my last PC had 16gb of DDR3 Ram if that matters.

3. Monitors

Currently I have 2 monitors that run at 1920x1080 each, but I am looking to upgrade within 4 months of my PC build to 2 of the exact same gaming monitors possibly the BENQ XL series, not looking to run a 3 monitor setup within the next 2 years.

4. Peripherals

I do not need a mouse or keyboard, I have a logitech G19 keyboard and G9x mouse. I also have a serial key for windows 7 ultimate, but Im not sure what peoples thoughts are on upgrading my OS to say windows 8.1 or windows 10.

5. Why are you upgrading?

With as many fully dead parts that are out of warranty I think it is the best thing to do.

6. Extras

I want to make sure that the case that is picked has good airflow along with easy case management. Ive also heard of cases that have built in filters that you can clean every week, so Im not sure if that is an option. I also want to make sure that the build that is picked is easy to upgrade, I want something that In a year and a half if a new game comes out I don't have to spend thousands in order to run it.

I appreciate any help/opinions that anybody has to provide, if you need ay more information from me feel free to post and Ill do my best to answer.

Thanks!

Windows 10 is worlds better than 7 in my opinion. its time to move on from that OS 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

welcome to the forums, you are going to get a ton of advice and support from everyone here with regards specs so all I will say is, enjoy building your new PC, its a wonderful few hours putting a new beast together.

Your budget is going to allow for a pretty nice rig .....

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

Windows 10 is worlds better than 7 in my opinion. its time to move on from that OS 

Well, Ive heard good things about it so I might as well with a fresh new build

welcome to the forums, you are going to get a ton of advice and support from everyone here with regards specs so all I will say is, enjoy building your new PC, its a wonderful few hours putting a new beast together.

Your budget is going to allow for a pretty nice rig .....

Thanks!  Ive only helped a friend put his together before, Im excited to make something that is aesthetically pleasing as well as a beast when it comes to doing everything that I need.

Alright. I'm cool with a $1800 budget:P Brb. I'll go make you a monster:P

Thanks! If you don't think I need to spend $1800 you don't have to haha

Sorry. Its $11 over;P

CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 57.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($345.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($62.99 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($89.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1811.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-03 17:00 EST-0500

Hi,

Kinda new to this forum but everybody seems to know what they're talking about and Im trying to get the best opinion possible for my new build. Not really sure what happened but a bunch of components in my 4 year old PC kinda just died, had a friend who is in IT look at it and he told me to salvage what I can and then build off from there.

So far we have found that My 120gb SSD works (Don't know what it is off the top of my head, can figure it out if needed), 1tb HDD (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd10ealx) and my PSU (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/thermaltake-power-supply-tr700p) semi works, I was told my my friend that its not outputting as much power as it should be currently although I don't know if that means I can't transfer it over.

1. Budget & Location

My budget is around $1500-$1800 on the parts that I need. Ive used windows 7 for 4 years and never upgraded, not sure if its worth it to do so now that Im starting fresh, let me know some of your opinions. I am based in the US so this will be in USD please.

2. Aim

I play a lot of video games nothing high end really (CSGO, skyrim, World of warcraft, LoL, Call of duty BO2/BO3, Battlefield 3/4/hardline, Dota 2), I really just want to play them at High/Max settings without lag. I also need to be able to multitask as I often have different programs running in the background while I play my video games. Nothing to CPU intensive, but my last PC had 16gb of DDR3 Ram if that matters.

3. Monitors

Currently I have 2 monitors that run at 1920x1080 each, but I am looking to upgrade within 4 months of my PC build to 2 of the exact same gaming monitors possibly the BENQ XL series, not looking to run a 3 monitor setup within the next 2 years.

4. Peripherals

I do not need a mouse or keyboard, I have a logitech G19 keyboard and G9x mouse. I also have a serial key for windows 7 ultimate, but Im not sure what peoples thoughts are on upgrading my OS to say windows 8.1 or windows 10.

5. Why are you upgrading?

With as many fully dead parts that are out of warranty I think it is the best thing to do.

6. Extras

I want to make sure that the case that is picked has good airflow along with easy case management. Ive also heard of cases that have built in filters that you can clean every week, so Im not sure if that is an option. I also want to make sure that the build that is picked is easy to upgrade, I want something that In a year and a half if a new game comes out I don't have to spend thousands in order to run it.

I appreciate any help/opinions that anybody has to provide, if you need ay more information from me feel free to post and Ill do my best to answer.

Thanks!

hows this?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bhQQ4D

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Sorry. Its $11 over;P

Motherboard: MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

This is great, but do you really think that I need a 1TB SSD right away? I mean, I have my 120TB that I used for my OS and a few games, I mean I feel like a SSD is one of those things that I can always add in a couple months and transfer my games on to it as I get more right?

Ooops! Sorry, yeah. I can make you a cheaper build. 

Haha no problem

This is great, but do you really think that I need a 1TB SSD right away? I mean, I have my 120TB that I used for my OS and a few games, I mean I feel like a SSD is one of those things that I can always add in a couple months and transfer my games on to it as I get more right?

Haha no problem

You're totally right. Your 120GB SSD is doing fine right now you said?You can always drop the 120GB SSD into your new build and upgrade the SSD when needed.

Looks good, but reminder that I will have the 1tb HDD that I salvaged as well as a 120GB ssd. So is it necessary to get completely new storage, or can't I just bring those over for now and in the future get a bigger SSD for games?

You're totally right. Your 120GB SSD is doing fine right now you said?You can always drop the 120GB SSD into your new build and upgrade the SSD when needed.

My 120GB SSD is fine, we plugged it into a different PC and its working fine, its currently in a anti static bag and my 1TB HDD is in a separate anti static bag awaiting the new build

Looks good, but reminder that I will have the 1tb HDD that I salvaged as well as a 120GB ssd. So is it necessary to get completely new storage, or can't I just bring those over for now and in the future get a bigger SSD for games?

oh, yea you can bring it over. dont get the hardrive and SSD and save 200 bucks. but i recommend getting everything else. you could get a cheaper cooler and i tried to keep it at a black and white color scheme 

oh, yea you can bring it over. dont get the hardrive and SSD and save 200 bucks. but i recommend getting everything else. you could get a cheaper cooler and i tried to keep it at a black and white color scheme 

Is there a reason that you chose a i7 over an i5? I just recall seeing people saying its unnecessary for gaming, does it benefit my multitasking?

My 120GB SSD is fine, we plugged it into a different PC and its working fine, its currently in a anti static bag and my 1TB HDD is in a separate anti static bag awaiting the new build

A black and red theme with the most powerful single GPU. I chose a nice and QUIET liquid CPU cooler. The motherboard will allow overclocking and you can add an extra fan to that list for even better cooling. 

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($649.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($60.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1433.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-03 17:16 EST-0500

Is there a reason that you chose a i7 over an i5? I just recall seeing people saying its unnecessary for gaming, does it benefit my multitasking?

There's no point of the i7 for your purposes. Seriously. 

yea you could get an i5 instead 

A black and red theme with the most powerful single GPU. I chose a nice and QUIET liquid CPU cooler. The motherboard will allow overclocking and you can add an extra fan to that list for even better cooling. 

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 

Would this be a reasonable motherboard rather than the one you picked? or would it make other things not compatible? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130770

yea you could get an i5 instead 

Yea, I just have no idea on the difference aside from the things that I have heard in videos.

There's no point of the i7 for your purposes. Seriously. 

That is what I heard haha.

Also there is no reason for me to get a full tower correct? Are they just bigger or is there something else that makes them undesirable. I always see ATX mid tower rather than full so I was just curious.

Yea, I just have no idea on the difference aside from the things that I have heard in videos.

That is what I heard haha.

Also there is no reason for me to get a full tower correct? Are they just bigger or is there something else that makes them undesirable. I always see ATX mid tower rather than full so I was just curious.

They're just bigger. I chose a mid tower since they can fit an ATX board in and are still smaller than a full tower. Maybe some full towers have better cooling but I kinda doubt that. 

Would this be a reasonable motherboard rather than the one you picked? or would it make other things not compatible? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130770

Nono. Don't get that. The Skylake socket is LGA1151, that motherboard utilises 1150. Its older so don't use it. 

Sorry. Its $11 over;P

Between these two builds, besides the Storage, the only thing that really changed was the motherboard correct? Is there a difference in the quality and whatnot or was it just to make the colors match? If there is a difference I would be willing to pay the extra $20 for the more expensive motherboard.

Between these two builds, besides the Storage, the only thing that really changed was the motherboard correct? Is there a difference in the quality and whatnot or was it just to make the colors match? If there is a difference I would be willing to pay the extra $20 for the more expensive motherboard.

Quality is the same. The second build is just for colour matching purposes. Would you like me to put in a higher end motherboard in there that also fits the colour scheme? 

Quality is the same. The second build is just for colour matching purposes. Would you like me to put in a higher end motherboard in there that also fits the colour scheme? 

I mean really I just want something that doesn't have weird inputs on the board, something like if I end up getting a second hard drive, I won't be able to plug it in unless I move something else. As long as everything will make for easy upgrading in the future Im fine. 

Would you possibly be able to add the extra fans for the case? Just want as much cooling/airflow as possible.