Raid 1+0 Raid Card Recommendation

Misao

Hi there

This is my first post on the forums and I hope someone can help me choose a decent raid card that fits my raid setup/computer build.

Raid setup:

4x 3tb WD Red drives in raid 1+0

PC Configuration:

-Windows 8 64bit

-6gb ddr3 ram

-Asus X58 sabertooth motherboard

-Intel® Core™ i7-920 Processor

Budget:

Less then $300. Ideal would be $150-200 though.

I would like a raid card that supports 3tb drives or higher and has at least 8 ports and sata 3. I tried looking for such a raid card on the ncix website and 

found at least 3 that fit the bill or at least so I think... Reason why I'm asking for help on this forum because I know there is many seasoned raid pro's on this 

board, while I have no experience with raid cards. 

So please if anyone could recommend me a raid card that you have a nice experience with(warranty, price, reliability, ease of use, manufacturer support, ect)

it would be very much appreciated!!!

Also I've come across the term "fake raid card"... Should I stay away from those? Usually I'm not to thrilled with the word fake lol.

Thank You,

Misao

Anything from LSI that fits your budget.

Thanks for the prompt reply =). I'll make sure to take a closer look at LSI's cards.

If anyone has any other recommendations though, don't be shy ^^

Thanks for the prompt reply =). I'll make sure to take a closer look at LSI's cards.

If anyone has any other recommendations though, don't be shy ^^

Adaptec or LSI, and basically the cheapest thing you can find.

I'd be wary of win8 support though, make sure it's listed.

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

Adaptec or LSI, and basically the cheapest thing you can find.

I'd be wary of win8 support though, make sure it's listed.

I could downgrade to win7 but I will be wary of win8 for sure.

Thanks for the response!

I got recommended a HighPoiunt RocketRAID 2720 SGL and other than a minor problem (slower boot times) it's been amazing!

I got recommended a HighPoiunt RocketRAID 2720 SGL and other than a minor problem (slower boot times) it's been amazing!

I was actually quite tempted to buy the RocketRAID 2720 SGL.( Looks like a great deal)

But instead I ordered the Adaptec 6805E which will take a week to order in. Don't know if I made the right choice, but only 

time will tell.

However if things do go wrong or I dislike the 6805 than I will probably give the 2720SGL a try. The only thing that turned me off

about that card is people have been calling it a fake raid card. (still not sure what that term means) Also no onboard ram.

Thanks for you're suggestion xBlizzDevious! 

I was actually quite tempted to buy the RocketRAID 2720 SGL.( Looks like a great deal)

But instead I ordered the Adaptec 6805E which will take a week to order in. Don't know if I made the right choice, but only 

time will tell.

However if things do go wrong or I dislike the 6805 than I will probably give the 2720SGL a try. The only thing that turned me off

about that card is people have been calling it a fake raid card. (still not sure what that term means) Also no onboard ram.

Thanks for you're suggestion xBlizzDevious! 

Yeah, I think someone said something about the 2720 being a fake RAID card. But I also have no idea what that might mean. My guess is that it's like hardware accelerated software RAID or something. But, I ain't caring as it works awesomely.