Whats the point of u.2 slot on a mb?

So looking at the asus impact viii and it has a u.2 nmve connection on board but not an m.2... wtf is the point of a u.2 slot when ssds can get close to the speeds of an m.2?

Is there a u.2 to m.2 adapter?

Please someone just explain the whole point on the u.2 connection.

A U.2 port on a motherboard is so that you don't need an adapter to go to the PCIe-wired SASCSI connector on the drive, you just plug in your 750-series SSD and go.

A U.2 port on a motherboard is so that you don't need an adapter to go to the PCIe-wired SASCSI connector on the drive, you just plug in your 750-series SSD and go.

so basicly is a useless slot unless i deside to sell my organs to get a 750 series ssd? Seems ridiculously stupid

It's because when more PCIe SSDs in the 2.5" form factor come out, you can't go and add a port onto your motherboard later. So it's there now. If it happened the other way around you'd be wondering why there are PCIe SSDs being released when no motherboards have the proper connector for it.

It's because when more PCIe SSDs in the 2.5" form factor come out, you can't go and add a port onto your motherboard later. So it's there now. If it happened the other way around you'd be wondering why there are PCIe SSDs being released when no motherboards have the proper connector for it.

I honestly dont think alot of other pcie ssds are coming out in a 2.5" form, otherwise they would have been out already. Everything is now moving to m.2 ssds.

And even an intel 750 ssd its matching the speeds of a good m.2 ssd like the 950 pro

I honestly dont think alot of other pcie ssds are coming out in a 2.5" form, otherwise they would have been out already. Everything is now moving to m.2 ssds.

And even an intel 750 ssd its matching the speeds of a good m.2 ssd like the 950 pro

You just watch, we're gonna need a 2.5" form factors again when we have 8TB SSDs (which are just around the corner, by the way) -- those are NOT gonna fit on an M.2 drive.