Laptop wont boot after harddrive swap

TechBlitZ

Just changed the harddrive in a laptop to an SSD

I had to remove the ram to get to the harddrive, i've replaced it and pieced the laptop back together

Whenever I turn the laptop on the power light flashes once and then again every 4-5 seconds roughly - Screen stays black and won't boot at all

I've tried switching the two pieces of ram around just in case I popped them back in the wrong slot. - Still nothing

Any suggestions?

It might be the ram that is defective also what kind of ram is it? Your laptop might not support it

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Just changed the harddrive in a laptop to an SSD

I had to remove the ram to get to the harddrive, i've replaced it and pieced the laptop back together

Whenever I turn the laptop on the power light flashes once and then again every 4-5 seconds roughly - Screen stays black and won't boot at all

I've tried switching the two pieces of ram around just in case I popped them back in the wrong slot. - Still nothing

Any suggestions?

Is it posting, but not booting? Can you access your BIOS?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Is it posting, but not booting? Can you access your BIOS?

It might be the ram that is defective also what kind of ram is it? Your laptop might not support it

No it's not booting at all - Can't even access bios

The RAM came with the laptop, it was all working fine before - except I got an error message in windows saying harddrive was corrupt so I thought i'd swap it with an SSD

Did you transfer Windows to the ssd? :P

CPU - i5-8400 , Motherboard - ASROCK Z370 Killer SLI, RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400mhz , GPU - EVGA GTX 950 SC, Case - SilentiumPC PAX M70 Pure Black V2 Storage - 240GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue, PSU - bequite! 600w Pure Power 10, Display - Dell P2417H, Cooling - bequiet! Pure Rock, Keyboard - Viper V730, Mouse - natec Genesis G55, Sound - Philips MCD712, OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

Not yet, I was planning on booting the laptop into bios and installing windows from a CD... Isn't that right? :P

No it's not booting at all - Can't even access bios

The RAM came with the laptop, it was all working fine before - except I got an error message in windows saying harddrive was corrupt so I thought i'd swap it with an SSD

This V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V

Also, are you sure the SATA power connections are OK?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

Not yet, I was planning on booting the laptop into bios and installing windows from a CD... Isn't that right? :P

Yes, that is fine. Are you sure SATA power and SATA data connections are fine?

Yes, that is fine. Are you sure SATA power and SATA data connections are fine?

Yeah i'm almost certain they are fine, but you dont need a harddrive installed just to boot into bios do you? O.o

Yeah i'm almost certain they are fine, but you dont need a harddrive installed just to boot into bios do you? O.o

On some laptops, BIOS is disabled when an OS isn't detected on a drive. Put in the old HDD and try that.

you can try and remove the laptop battery and wait for 5 minutes then put it back in this works some of the time when laptops that don't boot.

you can try and remove the laptop battery and wait for 5 minutes then put it back in this works some of the time when laptops that don't boot.

Welcome to the forums. I've never said that to someone who didn't make their first post a topic post... But, yes, this is something OP should try.

Hey guys, just really need some more help to fix this sucker.

Won't boot, the power led just flashes once every couple of seconds, no fan noise or harddrive noise or screen :-/

What steps should I take to try and fix it?

CPU - i5-8400 , Motherboard - ASROCK Z370 Killer SLI, RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400mhz , GPU - EVGA GTX 950 SC, Case - SilentiumPC PAX M70 Pure Black V2 Storage - 240GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue, PSU - bequite! 600w Pure Power 10, Display - Dell P2417H, Cooling - bequiet! Pure Rock, Keyboard - Viper V730, Mouse - natec Genesis G55, Sound - Philips MCD712, OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit