CM-Storm Trooper Wiring Solution

Strior
Go to solution Solved by geegolly,

Hello Strior,

I have the Storm Trooper also. Picked it up a couple weeks ago. It's been fun wiring and modding with it.

I cut off the 2 pin connector and soldered on a standard 3 pin connector (found on DC fans).

I couldn't find any of those 2 pin connectors, so I used different connectors I had laying around.

if you can find those 2 pin connectors, then that would work too.

I wired up my side panel with LEDs, and the side panel plugs into this cable coming off the LED/Fan controller

The LED on/off switch now turns on/off the side panel and the two front fans.

I used some standard 12v LED lights off of amazon.

Just solder a female 2 pin connector to your LED strip, and then connect it to the male 2 pin coming from the LED controller.

I'll post some pics and instructions later this evening.

I also have the top panel and front panel wired with light strips.

At some point I want to wire the top and front panel to that LED on/off switch. 

For compatibility with the LED controller

From OC.net forums,

http://www.overclock.net/t/1104349/the-official-cooler-master-storm-trooper-storm-stryker-club/3890#post_17776394

Someone posted a communication from Cooler master that said each cable can take 1amps.

So I wouldn't recommend wiring all of your LEDs to this single cable.

The light strip i used is 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSF66KS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

These are rated at 1.5 Watts per foot. The power draw will be .125 amps per foot.

A = W/V

A= 1.5/12

A= .125

I used 4.75 feet of LED lights on my side panel, and that is a bit overkill. I'm thinking of dialing this back a bit.

This only takes .59 amps.

These were the connectors I used. I cut them up a bit to grab only what I needed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N419ECW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Here are some pics.

This pic shows the standard 2 pin connector next to the modified one.

I cut off the connector and soldered on a three pin connector.

To lessen the cable bulk I pulled out the middle red cable.

I wanted to keep yellow and black, since that's a standard color combo for 12V molex. For this application it didn't matter.

mMxKmvo.jpg

Here is a close up of the modified cable next up to the standard 2 pin connector that comes with our case.

You'll want to solder the two wires together. Check out youtube, there are million videos. 

A helping hand with two alligator clips to hold the wires is very helpful.

My only tip, is to get a decent solder iron. I struggled with soldering for a long time. I was either using old irons or cheap irons.

You don't need to spend 100 dollars on a quality iron, but you also don't want to buy the 5 dollar Walmart one either.

Here is the iron I use 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y9UW2XA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I used 60/40 Rosin Core solder. I used .32" diameter light duty.

You can get leadless solder if you'd like, but there are worse things you are exposed to every day that will kill you.

Tinning the iron first helps too. If the Iron won't take to your tinning, then it means the tip needs cleaned off.

I just used one of those green scrub pads you use to clean your kitchen. Make sure the pad is damp if your iron is hot.

TsrgI8S.jpg

Next you'll need to solder the other end of your connector to the + and - of the LED strip.

For a detailed vid going over the process, I recommend this

jjkMpDX.jpg

Here is the side panel all wired up.

I mentioned I want to re-do this. 

I want to use smaller guage wire to connect the strips.

I dropped a glob of solder on the acrylic, so I ordered a new side panel. Opps.

either be careful or cover up that acrylic.

pFr9vuX.jpg

Here is the side panel attached.

Phone camera, so the pic doesn't do it justice.

There isn't that much light bleed in person.

RIGE3v1.jpg

and finally, here are the top and front.

CK1PKbC.jpg

Un6idl4.jpg

zxPBNdG.jpg

I'll be quick...

Purchased CM-Storm Trooper Case

Includes 4 case fans:

2x LED-lit 120mm fans on front

1x 200mm fan on roof

1x 140mm fan on back

Front Panel Controller powers/controlls all 4 fans and includes an LED button that turns on/off the LED lights on the two 120mm fans. The LED controller is connected to the two 120mm fans by two 2-pin connectors. 

I'm replacing all 4 fans with Noctua, but don't want those LED 2-pin connectors unused (and a button that doesn't do anything on the front panel).

Is it possible (and I would like an explanation of procedure) to use those 2-pin wires as a Case LED lighting on/off switch?

I envision LED strips around the case window or hidden somewhere else, and the ability to flick them on/off by pressing the button on the front.

EDIT: Serched a bit more and found that the 2-pin wires are potentially called EL Wire Connectors. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. I am a bit OCD about having UN-used wires hanging out the back. I am also NOT electrically minded (despite my Comp-Sci background). I'm working on that, but explanations in layman's terms are welcome!

post-254058-0-10234800-1445539102_thumb.

post-254058-0-58963900-1445539656.jpg

-SNIP-

You could do something like that as long as the switch was up to the task, and use it as an on off button for the LED's. Only thing you would need to do really is get some single color LED strips and wire them up using those connectors or fabricate something else like using 3 pin fan connectors instead.

Hello Strior,

I have the Storm Trooper also. Picked it up a couple weeks ago. It's been fun wiring and modding with it.

I cut off the 2 pin connector and soldered on a standard 3 pin connector (found on DC fans).

I couldn't find any of those 2 pin connectors, so I used different connectors I had laying around.

if you can find those 2 pin connectors, then that would work too.

I wired up my side panel with LEDs, and the side panel plugs into this cable coming off the LED/Fan controller

The LED on/off switch now turns on/off the side panel and the two front fans.

I used some standard 12v LED lights off of amazon.

Just solder a female 2 pin connector to your LED strip, and then connect it to the male 2 pin coming from the LED controller.

I'll post some pics and instructions later this evening.

I also have the top panel and front panel wired with light strips.

At some point I want to wire the top and front panel to that LED on/off switch. 

For compatibility with the LED controller

From OC.net forums,

http://www.overclock.net/t/1104349/the-official-cooler-master-storm-trooper-storm-stryker-club/3890#post_17776394

Someone posted a communication from Cooler master that said each cable can take 1amps.

So I wouldn't recommend wiring all of your LEDs to this single cable.

The light strip i used is 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSF66KS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

These are rated at 1.5 Watts per foot. The power draw will be .125 amps per foot.

A = W/V

A= 1.5/12

A= .125

I used 4.75 feet of LED lights on my side panel, and that is a bit overkill. I'm thinking of dialing this back a bit.

This only takes .59 amps.

These were the connectors I used. I cut them up a bit to grab only what I needed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N419ECW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Here are some pics.

This pic shows the standard 2 pin connector next to the modified one.

I cut off the connector and soldered on a three pin connector.

To lessen the cable bulk I pulled out the middle red cable.

I wanted to keep yellow and black, since that's a standard color combo for 12V molex. For this application it didn't matter.

mMxKmvo.jpg

Here is a close up of the modified cable next up to the standard 2 pin connector that comes with our case.

You'll want to solder the two wires together. Check out youtube, there are million videos. 

A helping hand with two alligator clips to hold the wires is very helpful.

My only tip, is to get a decent solder iron. I struggled with soldering for a long time. I was either using old irons or cheap irons.

You don't need to spend 100 dollars on a quality iron, but you also don't want to buy the 5 dollar Walmart one either.

Here is the iron I use 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y9UW2XA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I used 60/40 Rosin Core solder. I used .32" diameter light duty.

You can get leadless solder if you'd like, but there are worse things you are exposed to every day that will kill you.

Tinning the iron first helps too. If the Iron won't take to your tinning, then it means the tip needs cleaned off.

I just used one of those green scrub pads you use to clean your kitchen. Make sure the pad is damp if your iron is hot.

TsrgI8S.jpg

Next you'll need to solder the other end of your connector to the + and - of the LED strip.

For a detailed vid going over the process, I recommend this

jjkMpDX.jpg

Here is the side panel all wired up.

I mentioned I want to re-do this. 

I want to use smaller guage wire to connect the strips.

I dropped a glob of solder on the acrylic, so I ordered a new side panel. Opps.

either be careful or cover up that acrylic.

pFr9vuX.jpg

Here is the side panel attached.

Phone camera, so the pic doesn't do it justice.

There isn't that much light bleed in person.

RIGE3v1.jpg

and finally, here are the top and front.

CK1PKbC.jpg

Un6idl4.jpg

zxPBNdG.jpg

Wow! amazing!

I'm going to follow that pretty much exactly.

I prefer non-led fans, so I will probably replace the two red-lit fans on the front. This means I should be able to (theoretically) power up to 3 amps worth of LED's (1 amp/wire).

This will be awesome. Thank you very much!