New PC Build Help

Ocelot
Go to solution Solved by kunal445,

I checked the RAM again with different sticks and still got the same result (CPU LED briefly shining red till powers cuts off and endlessly reboots).

I did the PSU test and it doesn't really turn on. As soon as I flip the switch to on from the back of the PSU, it makes a ticking noise and doesn't do anything.

well then you probably need a new psu although it could also be your cpu cooler, first try with another cooler if you have and if that doesn't work then i think you should try with another psu 

Hi everyone,

I just finished building my new PC. The components are as follows:

Case: Fractal Define R5 w/ Side Panel Window

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K

Mobo: Asus Z97-A

Ram: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz

GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti SC+ (backplate edition)

PU Cooler: Corsair H80i GT
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD
CD/DVD Drive: Samsung SH-224FB/RSMS 24X Internal DVD Writer
PSU: Corsair RM 750 Watt 80+ Gold

When I try to turn it on, it starts to turn on for 1-2 seconds but then turns off and automatically tries to turn on again but repeats the cycle after 1-2 seconds of being on. I have been quite careful while building it but perhaps not careful enough.

I have also uploaded a brief video to show the problem booting as it happens:

I would greatly appreciate the community's help since I am eager to get this working.

Thanks for your time!

Press/hold the power button and see if it turns on.  Run it without the GPU and with 1 stick of RAM.  Is the PSU power switch on the back switched to On or off?

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

make sure your cables are plunged in properly it seems like a lose connection somewhere

Thanks guys.

@Amazingasian: I'll follow your advice about removing components and retrying. I tried holding the power button but to no avail. Also, yes the switch on the PSU is set to on.

@kunal445: I will try replugging all the cables to see if it changes anything.

I pulled everything out except the CPU, CPU cooler, motherboard, one stick of RAM and the PSU. The motherboard shines a red light/indicator for the CPU LED and the system still does not boot. Sound familiar to anyone?

Just to provide some more details about my continued efforts:

When attempting to boot, the CPU LED on the motherboard briefly shows as red till the computer powers off and reboots. I have to flip the switch at the back of the PSU to stop this seemingly endless cycle.

I have tried unplugging all components except for the motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler (even tried without it), one stick of RAM and the PSU to no avail.

I have individually cycled the two sticks of RAM in each of the four RAM slots. 

I have made sure multiple times that the cables are properly plugged into the PSU and motherboard. Same for the case's front IO port cables (power switch, light etc.).

Thank you to all of the people who have been kind enough to respond to my post. At this point, I would greatly appreciate any more help.

Praying to Linus and Luke for help has not seemed to solve things thus far but I shall continue my attempts.

Just to provide some more details about my continued efforts:

When attempting to boot, the CPU LED on the motherboard briefly shows as red till the computer powers off and reboots. I have to flip the switch at the back of the PSU to stop this seemingly endless cycle.

I have tried unplugging all components except for the motherboard, CPU, CPU cooler (even tried without it), one stick of RAM and the PSU to no avail.

I have individually cycled the two sticks of RAM in each of the four RAM slots. 

I have made sure multiple times that the cables are properly plugged into the PSU and motherboard. Same for the case's front IO port cables (power switch, light etc.).

Thank you to all of the people who have been kind enough to respond to my post. At this point, I would greatly appreciate any more help.

Praying to Linus and Luke for help has not seemed to solve things thus far but I shall continue my attempts.

i am pretty sure the problem is the cpu or psu and not the ram or motherboard , are any of the components used or all are brand new?

i am pretty sure the problem is the cpu or psu and not the ram or motherboard , are any of the components used or all are brand new?

All of the components are brand new. I just got them in the mail from Amazon today.

By the way, I have now tried all the steps on the Tom's Hardware guide here (including resetting the CMOS battery): http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-1893016/post-system-boot-video-output-troubleshooting-checklist.html

Edit: If it wasn't clear from the post, I'm still having the same problem.

if i was you i would strip the whole thing down and rebuild the basic parts back on the motherboard box, I don't know if something is shorting out there or what. Just use motherboard, CPU, one stick of RAM and the power supply, use the onboard video to test. 

Do a test outside the case - which by the way is always best practice before building in the case to make sure everything works. 

do you get any video display at all?

Nope, nothing. The computer turns on for just a split second (with the red CPU LED on the motherboard lighting up) and then turns off before "looping".

yeah just try and rebuild it make sure you ground yourself first it seems like you have carpet in your room 

yeah just try and rebuild it make sure you ground yourself first it seems like you have carpet in your room 

I followed through with @tezza192 advice and got the same result as when it was in the case (red light under CPU LED for a split second or so before the PSU turns off, reboots, and loops).

I was also assembling on a clean matte surface but moved it for the purposes of the video (plus I thought it was going to work so I usually leave my PC standing on a wooden block because the floor is carpeted). 

I followed through with @tezza192 advice and got the same result as when it was in the case (red light under CPU LED for a split second or so before the PSU turns off, reboots, and loops).

I was also assembling on a clean matte surface but moved it for the purposes of the video (plus I thought it was going to work so I usually leave my PC standing on a wooden block because the floor is carpeted). 

have you tried this test? 

i found another post on a different website with a problem similar to yours it says the ram was the problem for them so check your ram also?

here is the website: http://www.overclock.net/t/1507439/pc-keeps-restarting-before-even-reaching-bios-solved-faulty-ram

I checked the RAM again with different sticks and still got the same result (CPU LED briefly shining red till powers cuts off and endlessly reboots).

I did the PSU test and it doesn't really turn on. As soon as I flip the switch to on from the back of the PSU, it makes a ticking noise and doesn't do anything.

well then you probably need a new psu although it could also be your cpu cooler, first try with another cooler if you have and if that doesn't work then i think you should try with another psu