windows server 2003 language settings change

So my Windows Server 2003 is entirely in German. For practical reasons, I wanted to change the language for my account to English, however it prooved to be more problematic than I thought.

I think in newer versions of Win Server, not even a reboot is necessary for the changes to take effect. However in 2003 I was convinced it was required.

I changed the language under Language - Advanced (if my translation is correct) to English, which was already available. All the other location settings stayed the same as they were (German). I rebooted the server, hoping to log into a server in English.. but it's still German. 

G0l9t.jpg

Am I missing something here ? Could someone (who's done this before) give me instructions on how to change the language (in menus, interfaces, descriptions etc.) ?

Thank you.

So my Windows Server 2003 is entirely in German. For practical reasons, I wanted to change the language for my account to English, however it prooved to be more problematic than I thought.

I think in newer versions of Win Server, not even a reboot is necessary for the changes to take effect. However in 2003 I was convinced it was required.

I changed the language under Language - Advanced (if my translation is correct) to English, which was already available. All the other location settings stayed the same as they were (German). I rebooted the server, hoping to log into a server in English.. but it's still German. 

Am I missing something here ? Could someone (who's done this before) give me instructions on how to change the language (in menus, interfaces, descriptions etc.) ?

Thank you.

You need to make US Language First on the list, then It'll change

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

You need to make US Language First on the list, then It'll change

alright. Thanks. Is that all, or do I need to check any other settings?

I just want to make sure, before I schedule another server reboot for the night...

alright. Thanks. Is that all, or do I need to check any other settings?

I just want to make sure, before I schedule another server reboot for the night...

That's all you need to. You don't need to restart. All you need to log off and log in again. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

That's all you need to. You don't need to restart. All you need to log off and log in again. 

just tried that. nothing's changed :/ 

Any other ideas ? Lol, can it be so hard to change a language in Windows Server ?? Based on the screen above, English is available...

So in fact, the Regional and language options have nothing to do with the Server language itself!

And according to this link, language packs are not supported in Win Server 2003.. wth ? Is there no way to get a German server into English ?

Um, you know you're changing the input language (with 2003 that means basically your keyboard layout I'd say) there, right? It says 'Eingabegebietsschema', meaning 'Input regional scheme'. If you try out the keyboard, you should see that it is now US.

Um, you know you're changing the input language (with 2003 that means basically your keyboard layout I'd say) there, right? It says 'Eingabegebietsschema', meaning 'Input regional scheme'. If you try out the keyboard, you should see that it is now US.

yes, that's what I realized... I was under the impression that it's possible to change the interface language - basically the Windows Server language. 

Is there a way to do that, or will I have to cope with German ?

yes, that's what I realized... I was under the impression that it's possible to change the interface language - basically the Windows Server language. 

Is there a way to do that, or will I have to cope with German ?

http://superuser.com/questions/150128/change-language-for-windows-server-2003

Apparently only if the MUI is already installed. If not, you're probably SOL... Windows never has been terribly keen on allowing users to change the language freely, but I think they fixed that with later iterations (at least for consumer versions). With consumer Windows there's also third party stuff for this, but I'm not sure if it's available for server, and I doubt it's there for something this old.

http://superuser.com/questions/150128/change-language-for-windows-server-2003

Apparently only if the MUI is already installed. If not, you're probably SOL... Windows never has been terribly keen on allowing users to change the language freely, but I think they fixed that with later iterations (at least for consumer versions). With consumer Windows there's also third party stuff for this, but I'm not sure if it's available for server, and I doubt it's there for something this old.

ye, my point is, that English was already available as a second language, however the change didn't work. But ye, I guess I'll just have to deal with the German.