Mouse DPI Question

KalDive

After recently watching this video, Linus brought up something very interesting. He basically said "If you buy a mouse with a max of 8,000 DPI but you only use the 4,000 setting you could skip frames and have less precision overall." *NOTE : Just a theory, Linus didn't confirm that

If this turns out to be true, will I be better off buying a high-end Razer mouse or a cheaper one with the best DPI settings for me?

He also says that laser sensors have more versatility on the surfaces you can use the mouse on but is that the only difference?

Hell no - DPI isn't a measure of performance.

High DPI on most sensors is interpolated and that causes malfunctions such as jitter. Some flawless sensors are PWM3310, S3988/9, A3090, AM010, PAW3366 (Logitech only).

Mouse sensor list.

Mice using flawless sensors.

Most good mice are up to $80. Other are just gimmicky stuff that don't have any real world improvement in terms of performance (Mad-Catz and most of the "high end" Razer stuff).

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

This article can answer all of your mouse-related questions: http://www.overclock.net/t/1251156/an-overview-of-mouse-technology

In addition to what Pandalf said, I would argue that "high-end" and "Razer" do not belong in the same sentence. I don't mean to sound like everyone else who disparages Razer around here (I'm using a 2012 Naga right now, it's been my mouse for the last 2 years), but you can get a much better mouse for the money. Unless you're just into the tribal tattoo logo and pulsing LEDs (nothing wrong with that if you are), I'd recommend Logitech, SteelSeries, Corsair, etc over Razer.

Personally, I'm waiting for the Corsair Scimitar. After using a Naga, I can't go back to a mouse with 3-4 buttons. I use the side MMO buttons too much to let them go. The Scimitar took that idea and executed it better than anyone else, in my opinion. The advertised 12,000 CPI is pointless and I will adjust sensitivity/speed to whatever is most stable for me, but I like the mouse for its other features (though that yellow side panel will be getting a shot of black plasti-dip before I even plug it in). 

Well, I can tell you from experience that unless you're playing on a 3 screens or something, you won't need more than 1600 dpi imo.

400, 800, and 1600 is all you need. And it depends on the resolution and your sens.

Companies such as Razer (and not only) well know how to "trick" a potential consumer who is clueless about computer mice. By advertising products that says: Dominate the battlefield with our mouse with a 100G sensor, and resolution of 1501900 DPI. Be the best with Razer !!!.

I personally use A4Tech X7 X750 (with some custom mods) which I never change for any other. It cost only $ 26.

The last really good product (IMHO) that came out of the Razer wings was Microsoft Habu by Razer. My friend has this mouse from first release and not complain about it.

Times of Razer products that have a price adequate to the quality has ended.

Sorry for my low english, but I'm trying my best  ;)

| MOBO: Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1 || CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K || COOLER: Thermaltake HR-02 Macho Rev. B || RAM: 2x Patriot Signature DDR3 4GB 1333MHz CL9 || GPU: Msi GeForce GTX 750 TI Oc || PSU: Ocz StealthXStream 2 600W || STORAGE: Segate Barracuda 1 TB || CASE: Corsair Carbide Series 300R | 

Hell no - DPI isn't a measure of performance.

High DPI on most sensors is interpolated and that causes malfunctions such as jitter. Some flawless sensors are PWM3310, S3988/9, A3090, AM010, PAW3366 (Logitech only).

Mouse sensor list.

Mice using flawless sensors.

Most good mice are up to $80. Other are just gimmicky stuff that don't have any real world improvement in terms of performance (Mad-Catz and most of the "high end" Razer stuff).

Thank you for that useful information. I would also like to ask you if know of a mouse that is 1) good for big hands 2) optical sensor 3) 0-1000 DPI 4) wired.

Thanks in advacnce :)

Well, I can tell you from experience that unless you're playing on a 3 screens or something, you won't need more than 1600 dpi imo.

400, 800, and 1600 is all you need. And it depends on the resolution and your sens.

What would you say is the best DPI for a 24in. monitor playing FPS games. I don't want to be too slow or too far from the DPI the mouse is set at.

What would you say is the best DPI for a 24in. monitor playing FPS games. I don't want to be too slow or too far from the DPI the mouse is set at.

Physical size doesn't matter, only the resolution. I use 800 DPI with 2560x1440 myself and feel like its enough. Basically, go as low as you can stomach. Everyone has their own preference.

Thank you for that useful information. I would also like to ask you if know of a mouse that is 1) good for big hands 2) optical sensor 3) 0-1000 DPI 4) wired.

Thanks in advacnce :)

Steelseries Rival (or Rival 300 as they recently changed their naming scheme), Mionix Naos 7000 (big and ergonomic, intended for palm grip), Zowie ZA11. These are the ones I can think of right now, I'm sure somebody can add more.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Well, for 1080p you can go with either 400 or 800, it really just depends on the sens you are using. I play with 16 inches per 360, so mines super low, 400 dpi is fine. 

If you play at 8-12, 800 dpi should be good, and if you play at 1-8, 1600 dpi should be enough. Look up http://www.mouse-sensitivity.com/ so you can figure out the sens for your games.

There is no best DPI. Granted, there are things like interpolated DPI or sensors performing worse on specific DPI settings, but those are only applicable to the specific mouse or sensor. What you should be talking about is sensitivity instead of DPI. And by sensitivity, in FPS, most often you talk about how many centimeters of physical movement it takes for a turn of specific size, most often 180 or 360 degrees.

There is no magical sensitivity that will make you a better player. It all comes down to muscle memory and reflexes and those are things which you hone by playing more or being younger.

There are some guidelines as to what to do to get the most out of your stuff:

• Set the sensitivity in Windows to 6/11, exactly in the middle. If you absolutely have to move it, then move it below that, but never, ever, above it.
  • Do not frequently change your sensitivity in a single game. That'll screw up your muscle memory.
  • If you have to change sensitivity in a game, the safest bet is to leave the games on default and change your DPI instead.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

There is no best DPI. Granted, there are things like interpolated DPI or sensors performing worse on specific DPI settings, but those are only applicable to the specific mouse or sensor. What you should be talking about is sensitivity instead of DPI. And by sensitivity, in FPS, most often you talk about how many centimeters of physical movement it takes for a turn of specific size, most often 180 or 360 degrees.

There is no magical sensitivity that will make you a better player. It all comes down to muscle memory and reflexes and those are things which you hone by playing more or being younger.

• Set the sensitivity in Windows to 6/11, exactly in the middle. If you absolutely have to move it, then move it below that, but never, ever, above it.
  • Do not frequently change your sensitivity in a single game. That'll screw up your muscle memory.
  • If you have to change sensitivity in a game, the safest bet is to leave the games on default and change your DPI instead.

Thank you so much, this community is really helpful!

Thank you so much, this community is really helpful!