i5-6600K - At what voltage do you start shortening the life of the CPU?

CC268

Hey guys,

It seems like a lot of people are doing 1.325V and getting a very stable 4.5-4.6GHz out of it. However, I am wary of going outside of the stock voltage as I do plan on keeping this PC for quite a while. At the same time, I didn't buy a K series CPU to not use it!

At what voltages will I start really shortening the life of my CPU?

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

1.35 is about the highest i would go 

im lucky i got 4.6 on stock voltage 

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

as soon as temps go above 85 degrees

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

I haven't even tried OCing my CPU yet so for all I know I may not even need to up the voltage...but I wanted to know what a safe voltage would be.

The thing is...no one really has any hard evidence (that I have seen) that says what voltage is going to degrade your CPU - so I am a bit weary of overclocking if I have to up the voltage.

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

you should be able to get to atleast 4.4-4.5 even without touching the voltage

just make sure you have decent cooling and you can up the voltage a bit and it will be fine 

going by your sig your cooling is fine 

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

1.35 is about the highest i would go 

im lucky i got 4.6 on stock voltage 

how do you define stock voltage

did you just change your multiplier and leave your voltage set for auto?

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

how do you define stock voltage

did you just change your multiplier and leave your voltage set for auto?

i didnt touch voltage at all, and when im stress testing it never goes above 1.312

If I stay on stock voltage and add some multiplier will temps stay the same?

temps will only increase if you increase voltage 

So...if you were to guess...is your current overclock going to hinder the life of your CPU significantly?

So...if you were to guess...is your current overclock going to hinder the life of your CPU significantly?

nope

my cpu never goes above 65 degrees (it got to 70 during aida64 but thats synthetic)

i didnt touch voltage at all, and when im stress testing it never goes above 1.312

temps will only increase if you increase voltage 

all main boards will increase your core voltage if you leave it set to auto and increase the frequency

to properly determine stock voltage

load defaults or clear cmos

run cinebench at stock settings, observe core voltage.

your stock voltage will be less than 1.3V

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

I thought you would just manually enter in like 1.325V in the BIOS...never thought of doing Auto

If I stay on stock voltage and add some multiplier will temps stay the same?

Most likely, yes. You may see a few degrees over stock, but it might be hard to even tell.

To be clear, damage from high temperatures (at least in the range we're talking about) usually take long periods of time to truly start to damage a CPU. If you fire up your stress test and see it start to get near 90*C, just turn it off and change the settings. Don't run it like that for very long, but a few seconds won't hurt it. Anything that would hurt it would probably trigger it to either throttle down or shut itself off anyway.

If you're feeling uncertain, take your time. Wait until you're feeling bolder, or just set yourself a smaller goal: like a nice round 4 GHz. Probably wouldn't even need you to change the voltage.

---

I'm pretty comfortable in the 1.30-ish range. Technically it's probably best to consider any elevated voltage as potentially subtracting life from the chip, though at this level it should still last much longer than it will take me to replace it. I don't really know what voltage would start to become dangerous for Skylake, but even as a pretty cautious overclocker I'm quite sure you're safe at 1.35 V or below.

I run my Core i5-6600K at 100 MHz * 45 (4500 MHz) at 1.318 V. With a Corsair H80i, I idle around 25-30°C and max out around 65°C in AIDA64's stability test. I'm usually in the early 40's in games.

Thanks typographie - for AIDA64, when you run the stress test how long do you run it for and do you have any specific settings you use? Do you stress CPU, FPU, cache, and system memory or just the CPU?

Thanks typographie - for AIDA64, when you run the stress test how long do you run it for and do you have any specific settings you use? Do you stress CPU, FPU, cache, and system memory or just the CPU?

I left it at default, which I believe is CPU, FPU, cache, and system memory. I think I only ran it for a few hours at the longest, but it's been well over two months and probably a few hundreds of hours of use in that time. I mainly do gaming on this machine, so if I see a BSoD at some point I'm not terribly worried. If you do a lot more important work on your machine you'll want to validate the overclock for a lot longer.

Na its really just a fun/gaming machine. I am thinking I may just leave it alone and not even overclock it anyways...I just can't seem to convince myself it is really worth overclocking for gaming anyways.

I wouldn't go higher than 1.35V for vCORE. Remember that no matter how cold your CPU is, excessive voltage can degrade your CPU quickly because of electromigration.

CPU: Intel Core i3 4370 (3.8GHz, 2C/4T) GPU: AMD R9 380X 4GB