LEDs and Spotlights

Tetters

All,

Has anyone come across invidual LEDs or mini spotlights that would work well inside a case? In my searches I have come across LED strips and UV strips, but not individual LEDs or spots. If I found them, I would add them to highlight parts of the build or add some extra interest.

Cheers

Tet

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

All,

Has anyone come across invidual LEDs or mini spotlights that would work well inside a case? In my searches I have come across LED strips and UV strips, but not individual LEDs or spots. If I found them, I would add them to highlight parts of the build or add some extra interest.

Cheers

Tet

NZXT Sleeved LED lights has a spot light type effect you might be looking for, most like the strips for a nice even glow:

https://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/101-sleeved-led-kit-case-accessory.html

just wondering but what do you need the spotlight for 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

NZXT Sleeved LED lights has a spot light type effect you might be looking for, most like the strips for a nice even glow:

https://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/101-sleeved-led-kit-case-accessory.html

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have tried those and although nice, are not really what I am looking for.

Cheers Tet

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

just wondering but what do you need the spotlight for 

It would be to shine on a dedicated part of the motherboard or on an indiviual component.

It would be to shine on a dedicated part of the motherboard or on an indiviual component.

can you solder?

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have tried those and although nice, are not really what I am looking for.

Cheers Tet

If you want something like that you will probably need to make something, since most spot light type applications are fairly large for accent lighting in homes or gardens.

because if you can solder just solder one high powered led to stiff wires than add a female 4pin connector on the other end you might need a resistor depends on voltage your led can handle  

edit: you would definitely need a resistor 

If you want something like that you will probably need to make something, since most spot light type applications are fairly large for accent lighting in homes or gardens.

I thought I would but it was definitely worth asking

Thanks for the responses

T

because if you can solder just solder one high powered led to stiff wires than add a female 4pin connector on the other end you might need a resistor depends on voltage your led can handle  

edit: you would definitely need a resistor 

This is what I will do

Cheers

T

This is what I will do

Cheers

T

np just make sure your using the right resistors and stuff i dont know them off the top of my head but any electronics store should be able to help you just ask to go from 12v to what ever voltage the led takes it should work but i have not tried it before so idk 

Spotlights for inside a computer... interesting, I haven't actually thought about that will add that to my list of things to research.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

np just make sure your using the right resistors and stuff i dont know them off the top of my head but any electronics store should be able to help you just ask to go from 12v to what ever voltage the led takes it should work but i have not tried it before so idk 

thanks for the advice ....  appreciate it

Spotlights for inside a computer... interesting, I haven't actually thought about that will add that to my list of things to research.

Its something that popped in my head when I was idly eyeing my case. The RGB LEDs I have are awesome, but the corsair H75 cooler doesnt have any LED lighting in, so it got me thinking, if it doesnt light up itself, is there a way to shine light directly on it and enhahnce it that way .....

It could be at the end of the day, the idea is a dud, but I thought it would be fun to have a look for a solution

Tet

thanks for the advice ....  appreciate it

no problem now that radio shack is gone you might have to look harder for an electronics store with competent employees don't go to a big brand hardware store most of them don't know what their talking about although once and a while you get a good smart guy 

Its something that popped in my head when I was idly eyeing my case. The RGB LEDs I have are awesome, but the corsair H75 cooler doesnt have any LED lighting in, so it got me thinking, if it doesnt light up itself, is there a way to shine light directly on it and enhahnce it that way .....

It could be at the end of the day, the idea is a dud, but I thought it would be fun to have a look for a solution

Tet

before you do this make sure you do some research some people say it will fry your motherboard im not sure just be careful 

before you do this make sure you do some research some people say it will fry your motherboard im not sure just be careful 

I'll look into it thoroughly and if I find a good solution, I will be post all the details here. For starters, the LEDs will have to be well away from the motherboard, probably mounted on the case and directed towards the board or the relevant component.

I'll look into it thoroughly and if I find a good solution, I will be post all the details here. For starters, the LEDs will have to be well away from the motherboard, probably mounted on the case and directed towards the board or the relevant component.

Just an example if you want a small spot light you could get something like theses LED diodes and 3D print or create a shroud to direct the light at a specific component in the case:

http://www.amazon.com/XSPC-Single-5mm-Wire-White/dp/B00BTBYCTE/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1443918489&sr=1-5&

Another is something like this which would require a small heatsink and shroud similarly but should output a brighter more even light:

https://www.fasttech.com/product/1134701-generic-1w-led-emitter-with-350ma-amc7135-driver

Just an example if you want a small spot light you could get something like theses LED diodes and 3D print or create a shroud to direct the light at a specific component in the case:

http://www.amazon.com/XSPC-Single-5mm-Wire-White/dp/B00BTBYCTE/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1443918489&sr=1-5&

Another is something like this which would require a small heatsink and shroud similarly but should output a brighter more even light:

https://www.fasttech.com/product/1134701-generic-1w-led-emitter-with-350ma-amc7135-driver

Awesome - you are a star Sir .. thanks

Tet