Intel Haswell Refresh compatability

Bogdan811
Go to solution Solved by Imakuni,

Depends on the Bios. If buying a new mobo from a big store, it's pretty much garanteed to be from a newer batch, and thus have the correct Bios out of the box.

However, when buying a used mobo, or from a very small local store (that doesn't constanly renew stock), you do have a chance of getting an older Bios that may not be supported, depending on when the mobo was produced. And if that's the case, good luck trying to find the Bios version - you'll need it....

Hi there guys, i was wondering if I can put an i3 4170 Haswell Refresh on an GIGABYTE GA-H81M-S1 motherboard.

On their site they say that 4th generation of processors are supported, but I don't know if Haswell Refresh is supported without making an upgrade of bios myself, cuz I don't have an Haswell processor laying in my house.

Waiting for response, cheers.

Depends on the Bios. If buying a new mobo from a big store, it's pretty much garanteed to be from a newer batch, and thus have the correct Bios out of the box.

However, when buying a used mobo, or from a very small local store (that doesn't constanly renew stock), you do have a chance of getting an older Bios that may not be supported, depending on when the mobo was produced. And if that's the case, good luck trying to find the Bios version - you'll need it....

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Yup, it's compatible on the site, thank you guys. (really really fast response btw)

On the store at BIOS section they say

1 x 64 Mbit flash 
Use of licensed AMI EFI BIOS 
PnP 1.0a, DMI 2.0, SM BIOS 2.6, ACPI 2.0a

I know I need at least version F5 of the bios to be good with Haswell.

The store is a big one I think...www.pcgarage.ro

I build this pc for my girlfriend btw :P so I need some help guys, come on :))

On the store at BIOS section they say

1 x 64 Mbit flash 

Use of licensed AMI EFI BIOS 

PnP 1.0a, DMI 2.0, SM BIOS 2.6, ACPI 2.0a

I know I need at least version F5 of the bios to be good with Haswell.

The store is a big one I think...www.pcgarage.ro

I build this pc for my girlfriend btw :P so I need some help guys, come on :))

Doesn't say a thing about the Bios version (which is the thing that matters). But if you say it's a big store, then you should be fine.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Guess I should get in contact with the store about that product, I thank all for helping me with this topic. Have a great night everyone.