New PSU?

Jared_1

I'll agree with G1 and B1, but NEX is far from mediocre; sure, it's not as good as G2/B2/P2, but it's still a very well-made unit. They're based off FSP Aurum. 

W1 isn't "terrible". They're just fine for budget builds.

W1 are terrible - trust me. They are bad - B.A.D.

NEX are not better than an equally priced XFX or SeaSonic unit usually.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I'll agree with G1 and B1, but NEX is far from mediocre; sure, it's not as good as G2/B2/P2, but it's still a very well-made unit. They're based off FSP Aurum. 

W1 isn't "terrible". They're just fine for budget builds.

NEX650G / NEX750G is the same as the 650G1 / 750G1. Both are group regulated FSP Aurum. The 750B1 is FSP Raider - cost down Aurum. Quite honestly, FSP has push the design a bit too far with the Aurum platform. EVGA / FSP should make a 450 / 550w G1 based on the Aurum design, while the higher wattage 650-1000w based on Aurum Pro, Aurum Xilenser, the custom design that the 1000G1 is based off of, or that server unit that the NZXT Hale90v2 is based off of.

1000G1 is a different FSP platform altogether and is vastly superior the other G1 units.

NEX1500 is made by Etasis - a server grade company that I would class with Delta, Zippy, Flextronics, and such ; however, it turn out to be quite a disappointment as it was rushed into market when it was not ready. It would have been better had they rated it 1200w instead.

As for the W1: The 400w unit is just bad. the 430/500/600 models are cost-down platform of the 500B/600B units, but worse performing electrically. It's my "it will do, but can you get something else?" power supply.

Yeah, I forgot that the G1 were based off of FSP Aurum too. Sorry. Are the NEXB's based off Aurum as well?

When I said budget build, I meant like $300-$400. There's no budget in that scenario to get a good power supply, so a mediocre one would have to do.

The only reason I got an NEX750B were because here in Canada they were on sale for a pretty great price. Good deals on Seasonic/XFX PSUs are non existent here. Do you want one in Canada? Well, be prepared to pay upwards of $150 for one. 

Here's the chart I refer to as one of my sources:

-snip-

NEX750B is the same as the Supernova 750w B1. They are FSP Raider. It's essentially cost down Aurum. The different between the NEX-B/G and B/G1 were the removal of the metal handle and black cables / connectors for the PEG.

Yeah, whether you or not you would get something "cheap" / "mediocre" all depends on your budget. Personally, I've seen builds where people would invest in a system with a $300-$500 GPU, but would power it on an entry level PSU without any regards to the longevity nor quality of the power delivery.

Even if certain high-end units prices are out of reach, I'm sure you could have found another unit. Then again, there's no sense in discussing it, as we can't go back into time. ATM, the 750B1 is rather poorly priced, as you can get the 750B2 for cheaper and it is a vastly superior unit. The Cooler Master G750M may also be another option in the same price range as the B1.

Regarding tier list. I don't like them. I've discuss it in another thread regarding it, and there's not a single tier list that hasn't made me go "why the fuck is that there?" Take the PCMR list for example (which looks like a copy and paste on Tom's Hardware older list).

Why is the Seasonic G below the M12II-B Evo?

Actually, there are two instances of the M12II-B Evo in tier 1 and tier 2a. It looks like a list where the person is feeling conflicted on where certain units should go and why. There are multiple of instances like this (like the Corsair RM series being in both 2b and 3).

Why is the Azza Platinum in Tier 2b, when the Kingwin Lazer Platinum is in Tier 1. They both are based on the same SuperFlower Golden King Platform.

Lepa is the sister company of Enermax, where Enermax power supplies are rebrand and sold for a lower price, so why is the  G1600 in Tier 1, when it's based on the  Enermax MaxRevo / Platimax  Platform that's in Tier 2? Even though they should be in the same tier, putting the Enermax brand units above Lepa would be more understandable.

Antec VP450 - a non PFC FSP APN design in Tier 2b? WTF?

Why is a DC-DC regulated PSU like the Cooler Master GM series with the Corsair CX and EVGA B series? Actually, why is the CM Elite v2 in tier 3? It should be rank lower.

Ok, the NEX1500 was indeed a huge disappointment, in which you could get a comparable unit performance-wise for $100+ cheaper. In fact the Antec HCP-1200 at the time was a better performer than it. However, it wasn't so bad that warrant to be rank with entry level PSUs.

That's only a few issues.