Intel staff lay off

Gari Ferret

So, It turns out that last week, Intel decided to axe several of it's most experienced staff at it's "Wind River" facility which has been involved in the development of VxWorks for NASA rovers, spacecraft, military computer systems and industry, news site "The Register", were told by one of those who got the axe;

"Wind River, which is a subsidiary of Intel, has just laid off many of their long-term employees, some who have worked there for 25 years,"

"They have laid off the last engineer who worked on the version of the operating system used on spacecraft."

This comes almost a year after Wind River was fined $750,000 for exporting encryption to places such as China and also after a major security bug was found in VxWorks this month.

This round of redundencies is rather surprising given that many people, including those at "The Register", said;

The operating system is otherwise a very neat piece of kit that supports multi-processor systems, and multiple guest operating systems on its hypervisor. It is focused on providing a secure, deterministic, and reliable base on which critical software for military, aerospace, medical, energy, and robotics applications can run. It is now playing a role in Intel's Internet-of-Things push.

River Farm wouldn't comment about the redundencies but Jessica Miller, Wind River's director of corporate communications, did tell The Register;

"Wind River does not comment on personnel matters and we don’t engage in speculation about these kinds of matters,"

What does this mean for space exploration? Only time will tell, links to news sources are below so you can read the full details.

Original links:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/24/intel_windriver_layoffs/

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/processors/38866-intel-lays-off-staff-at-wind-river

"Equality."

Intel is all about that equality checklist, but they're going to continue to axe jobs.

Well Intel is pulling an nvidia and it went wrong

An Nvidia with what? I guess I missed something.

Every company need to sack a few of the oldies for some new ones. Most of them probably worked on the apple 2

Pulling an nvidia = Increasing the proformance a small ammount

but they failed because its a CPU not a GPU thats why only nvidia can do it xD

So does Intel just not need anyone working on space stuff anymore?

Isn't Intel switching to all automated manufacturing anyway? Maybe this place just the first on the chopping block because of recent events it had been involved.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

RIP... AMD?

Wrong thread m9. :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

Pulling an nvidia = Increasing the proformance a small ammount

but they failed because its a CPU not a GPU thats why only nvidia can do it xD

I don't see how cutting jobs is pulling an Nvidia?

I don't see how cutting jobs is pulling an Nvidia?

There skylakes arnt selling that well because there 4% better than the previos "pulling a nvidia", but the cutting jobs part... thats just bad