Trouble installing Linux

I recently formatted a hard drive in an old computer of mine because I want to install Linux on it to make it into a file server. Though when I try to install it the hard drive, a windows error comes up and says that the system32 file is not showing up. "Well duh, I wiped it silly computer." It then said to press F8 for the startup options, I pressed that and the screen just flashed and showed the same screen. Then on top of that I can not access the boot menu on my motherboard because I do not know what key to press and my monitor doesn't turn on fast enough for me to see the screen that tells me. I know if I am having troubles now I am probably going to have a hell of a time once I get past this, but I guess you have to learn somehow.

I recently formatted a hard drive in an old computer of mine because I want to install Linux on it to make it into a file server. Though when I try to install it the hard drive, a windows error comes up and says that the system32 file is not showing up. "Well duh, I wiped it silly computer." It then said to press F8 for the startup options, I pressed that and the screen just flashed and showed the same screen. Then on top of that I can not access the boot menu on my motherboard because I do not know what key to press and my monitor doesn't turn on fast enough for me to see the screen that tells me. I know if I am having troubles now I am probably going to have a hell of a time once I get past this, but I guess you have to learn somehow.

boot menu is usually f8

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

What did you install?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

try a different keyboard maybe. My k65 is terrible in bios level stuff

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

xubuntu

Did you tell it to wipe everything? Or did you select "install alongside windows"?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Did you tell it to wipe everything? Or did you select "install alongside windows"?

I thought wipe everything, I hooked it up to my current computer and formatted it so, I mean, that should work right?

I thought wipe everything, I hooked it up to my current computer and formatted it so, I mean, that should work right?

it all depends on what you selected during the installation. If you selected install alongside windows then chances are it did not install grub and relied on you being able to access it from the windows bootloader - which clearly did not get wiped or you wouldn't be seeing it. Try installing again, making sure you install it as the only os, and see what happens.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

it all depends on what you selected during the installation. If you selected install alongside windows then chances are it did not install grub and relied on you being able to access it from the windows bootloader - which clearly did not get wiped or you wouldn't be seeing it. Try installing again, making sure you install it as the only os, and see what happens.

It was a prebuilt so I have no idea what they chose when it was put together. How would I access the bootloader?

If this is a prebuilt system, you can google the model number and it will tell you what key will get you into the BIOS.

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

It was a prebuilt so I have no idea what they chose when it was put together. How would I access the bootloader?

Usually it's something like f12.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*